DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2710n and RX CRC errors with line drops

• markdemon
  • Topic Author
More
19 Mar 2013 13:48 #75620 by markdemon
2710n and RX CRC errors with line drops was created by markdemon
I am running a 2710n and ever since I changed to it, I'm now seeing a high volume of RX CRC errors (gets to about 65k and then resets to 0) which only a router reboot cures.

I was running a Netgear DGB834G v5, on an extension socket from master socket. Filter is used with router connected to it and a cordless phone also connected and sited close to the router. All fine, never dropped the line, so I never checked any stats.

Using the 2710n (FW 3.6.3_232201) I see a high volume of RX CRC errors and this is typified with websites not loading. Rebooting the router cures this for a while and it's stable for a short time and then the CRC errors reappear. Sometime the PPPoA connection resets without a router restart.

I tried the DGB834G again last night and seeing similar SNR Margin (8) and Loop Att. (40) to the 2710n but seeing some RX CRC errors when using Routerstats for an hour (160) but able to browse just fine.

So, think the 2710 could just be a little less tolerant of the line quality.
Haven't checked internal wiring yet as master socket is obscured by bookcase and it's a faff to get to.

So, suggestions for now?

I did upgrade straight from FW 3.3.7 to 3.6.3 before using it and one thread on this forum implies that it might be buggy. So should I go back to 3.3.7 or try 3.6.3.1 but try one of the other revisions (e.g. 2471201 over 232201), if so, which one? Again other threads imply I can improve the SNR Margin with different firmware which might help.

Also running Firewall > DoS Defense, so should I try turning this off, and setting Modulation to ADSL2+(G.992.5) from Multimode. Again these are suggestions from the forum.

More than happy to select a fw version and go to factory defaults and turn on functionality piecemeal if needed.

Alternatively could there be a line issue (have contacted ISP and they can't see anything wrong), which I will need to test via the master socket test connection or could it be the proximity of the cordless phone or the filter failing? Router is sat on TV stand which has TV, NAS, HDD recorder, Blu-ray player and cordless phone in very close proximity.

I want stability over download speed more than anything, but fast enough to use BBC iPlayer on my TV.

As of today router up 28hrs, checked now and PPPoA has been up 2hrs 12mins (85 RX CRC errors) and was also up only 18 mins first thing this morning.
In this case Up Speed is 979766, Down Speed is 9378936, SNR Margin 7 and Loop Att. 40. The SNR Margin varies between 6-10 and Loop Att. has never changed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2013 13:52 #75631 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2710n and RX CRC errors with line drops
Hi
I don't have this router but from my experience here some basic but good tips (for ADSL Lines)

First you need to move as far you can the 2710 away from other equipment.Having all of them very close they transmit electromagnetic waves and this cost issues maybe something called REIN.This is affecting and so giving more errors.The netgear you had may be less sensitive than the draytek, so as you understand it depending the each modem

I bet netgear or dtaytek giving you most errors when you got all the others on and working(tv,dvd etc)

The suggestion about turn off DoS i think is helpful only to improve speed.Personal i don't believe will cost errors.Most errors in my opinion are coming for having the 2710 close to the other equipment
You can just turn off DoS or set it with much higher values to still give you protection

Also is worth to turn off QoS.This will also affect line speed

Changing the Modulation it will only help you stabilise the line if you getting speed lower than about 10mbps which from the stats you have provided i would say to set it manually at ADSL or G.DMT(G.dmt may drop your speed more but for sure it helps a lot a noise line with a result a more stable line as G.dmt it uses much more lower frequencies so is less sensitive to electromagnetic waves mentioned up)

About changing firmwares
I can not comment which one has less bugs but i will say to use the latest 3.6.3.1 and stuck with it
Remember you need to do master reset and then when upgrading use the *rst file (this is to avoid possible previous firmware bugs)

You can not change or tweak SNR with drayteks so i am surprised they told you this
You may see lower SNR from time to time due to bad line or cos is too close to other devices.The real SNR you will see it after modem turned on,right away to check the stats.During the day/night is natural floating but floating to much is not good cos something is causing issues to be unstable

What you can do is try a different firmware â–ºmodem codeâ—„ You don't need use *rst file changing modem codes with same firmware versions.Just use the *all file and will overwrite the current settings

Practised before for my self i have find out the modem codes ending with:
2471201, 244001,2431301 should give you lower loop attenuator so there for it will help get better speed
232201,243601,243701 should give you medium range attenuator so it may be ok for most cases
211801,2121501,2211201 & STD should give more loop attenuator and i believe may helps to have more stable line but may give less speed
I would say go for the STD(standard) is very good one

So in TOTAL

Move the modem as far you can
Change firmware to latest (only for the reason to get latest features)
Set Modulation to ADSL first and then try D.DMT
Disable QoS most importand
Try first firmware to STD (which should give more stable line) and if is not stable then go for the 2471201 which is recommented for most UK lines

I am sure you will make huge improvement

• markdemon
  • Topic Author
More
25 Mar 2013 14:32 #75686 by markdemon
Replied by markdemon on topic Re: 2710n and RX CRC errors with line drops
babis3g,

Many thanks for the very long post, certainly a lot to think about and I'll reply to what you've written. I thought I had fixed the issue by disabling DoS (and setting the MTU back to 1458 but I think that's irrelevant). I was about to say as much on Friday of last week, but then the PPPoA connection reset itself. The router had been up for a number of days, but the PPPoA connection had only been up 3 hours. This coincided with some heavy rainfall, so I thought perhaps there's an issue with water getting in somewhere that's causing the problem - clutching at straws here!

However since making the change I no longer need to restart the router daily, which is an upside, and I've only done it once since. The volume of RX CRC errors vary, sometime over 300 for each refresh of the stats page.

Now to answer your points:

I can't move the router easily. I could plug it in to the master socket, but there's no power point nearby without trailing cables all over the floor which isn't an option. What I will do is tidy up the power cables for the TV etc where the router sits and move them as far away as I can.

As for the volume of errors, they're mounting up today and the TV will be off and all the other kit will be on standby so it could be the fact I'm running on an extension to the master socket, or the line in to the house. The Negear certainly showed RX CRC errors but perhaps it's more able to cope with them and never needed a restart like the 2710.

In the 3.6.3 firmware QoS is off by default.

I can try changing the modulation, but the line provided by my ISP (Demon) will only provide up to 8Mbps and speed tests show I get over 7Mbps downloads. I also sync in line with an 8Mbps line.

In due course I'll try the latest firmware and the various modem codes. It's interesting that the draytek.co.uk website recomends the 232201 mode code over the others, but I'll try the STD and 2471201 variants.

I'll post updates as I try things out.

Many thanks for the suggestions.

Moderators: Sami