DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2830 "Bind IP to MAC" problem

• mikeysoft
  • Topic Author
More
27 Mar 2013 17:18 #75698 by mikeysoft
2830 "Bind IP to MAC" problem was created by mikeysoft
When I add new or update existing clients in the "IP bind list", and then some time later the router is restarted, random entries in the "IP bind list" are no longer present. Re-loading a configuration backup file will fix the problem temporarily, but then after one or more restarts again entries in the IP bind list vanish. It is not always the same entries in the IP bind list that vanish, it varies, and for example I could lose .62 but then there will be more entries with higher IP addresses.

Anyone else had this problem? It's very annoying and causing a lot of problems as loads of devices I have deployed require a particular LAN IP address but can only be set via DHCP.

(I'm running firmware 3.6.3_db_232201)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2013 18:15 #75699 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2830 "Bind IP to MAC" problem
Hi just to make sure,
Are you having single band model or dual wan (apart the firmware is in your draytek)
Here how to find out so you can check the correct formware
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb/kb_vigor_2830_dual_band.html
when uploaded latest firmware, did you use the *rst file or master reset the current firmware? OR just used previous config from an other previous firmware?
If you did used previous firmware config, may give issues because with new 3.6.3 is been added many features

• mikeysoft
  • Topic Author
More
27 Mar 2013 18:52 #75701 by mikeysoft
Replied by mikeysoft on topic Re: 2830 "Bind IP to MAC" problem

babis3g wrote: Hi just to make sure,
Are you having single band model or dual wan (apart the firmware is in your draytek)
Here how to find out so you can check the correct formware
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb/kb_vigor_2830_dual_band.html
when uploaded latest firmware, did you use the *rst file or master reset the current firmware? OR just used previous config from an other previous firmware?
If you did used previous firmware config, may give issues because with new 3.6.3 is been added many features

I used the dual band version as that's what I have.

I maintained my existing config when I upgraded to 3.6.3 (and would expect to be able to otherwise it's a poor product), but I've had this problem prior to 3.6.3. And the problem doesn't happen on every reboot of the router. It's hit and miss.

More
31 Mar 2013 22:43 #75725 by niggly54
Replied by niggly54 on topic Re: 2830 "Bind IP to MAC" problem
I think what babis3g is suggesting is that some particular revisions of firmware have been so different that it has been suggested that rather than reload a previous config file, the data is manually re-entered after uploading a .rst version of the new firmware. Obviously this is a real p.i.t.a if you have a lot of settings, but it MAY be the only way to ensure correct functionality.

• mikeysoft
  • Topic Author
More
01 Apr 2013 13:36 #75738 by mikeysoft
Replied by mikeysoft on topic Re: 2830 "Bind IP to MAC" problem

niggly54 wrote: I think what babis3g is suggesting is that some particular revisions of firmware have been so different that it has been suggested that rather than reload a previous config file, the data is manually re-entered after uploading a .rst version of the new firmware. Obviously this is a real p.i.t.a if you have a lot of settings, but it MAY be the only way to ensure correct functionality.

Yes I got that. I have masses of settings over half a dozen routers; it's unrealistic of Draytek to ask users to re-enter settings between firmware upgrades. It would take hours per router (especially given the poor MAC entry format - no simple cut and paste possible), mean a lot of downtime, and risk introducing errors. (I'm sure the firmware developers are competent enough to have a config file format that can cope with going between firmware revisions that add/remove/change features - I've written config files myself and it's not difficult.)

There is no suggestion in the 3.6.3 readme that it is necessary to use the .rst version and then re-enter manually, this problem is not specific to 3.6.3, and no other feature in my settings are causing me problems, so it would suggest a bug in the 'bind IP to MAC' feature.

The fact that the IP Bind List table is correctly populated when I re-load the settings from the config file suggests the config settings between firmware revisions is not the problem - else it (the IP Bind List table) would not load correctly. At some point during normal operation and/or after reboots of the router, it is then that the IP Bind List table loses entries, suggesting a bug in the 'bind IP to MAC' functionality.

As I said, I had this problem prior to 3.6.3. The problem first arose after the introduction of the comment and 'show comment' feature in 'bind IP to MAC'. I only mentioned 3.6.3 so people would know it was happening with the latest firmware to avoid suggestions of "try the latest firmware". I've had this problem across multiple firmware releases.

I'm surprised nobody else has experienced the problem with losing entries in the "Bind IP to MAC" table. Anyone?

More
03 Apr 2013 08:48 #75747 by niggly54
Replied by niggly54 on topic Re: 2830 "Bind IP to MAC" problem

mikeysoft wrote: As I said, I had this problem prior to 3.6.3. The problem first arose after the introduction of the comment and 'show comment' feature in 'bind IP to MAC'. I only mentioned 3.6.3 so people would know it was happening with the latest firmware to avoid suggestions of "try the latest firmware". I've had this problem across multiple firmware releases.

I think the only avenue you can try now- since no one else appears to have suffered a similar problem- is to log the issue with Draytek technical support. If, as you suspect, the 'bug' was introduced by the addition of the new comment feature, then only Draytek can fix it. Let us know how you get on.

Moderators: Sami