DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

server essentials 2012 Anywhere access

More
04 May 2013 10:15 #76055 by cocospm
Replied by cocospm on topic Re: server essentials 2012 Anywhere access
PS: Remotely accessing a server which is on a dynamic (external) IP address isn't really feasible over time, as it's IP address will change. I strongly recommend you ask your broadband provider for a fixed IP address. You might have to pay a monthly fee for this. Then you can either use the numerical address they give you for remote access, or register yourself a domain name and point it's A record at the fixed IP address. Then you can address your server using a FQDN. If you can't get a fixed IP address, you can always sign up for a "dynamic DNS" account (e.g., from http://www.opendns.com or http://www.dyn.com) and configure that appropriately.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2013 09:33 #76157 by rmc01
Replied by rmc01 on topic Re: server essentials 2012 Anywhere access
Thanks for the replies, when I said port forwarding didn't work, I meant exactly that. I followed the instructions available online for what is sold as a major function of WSE 2012 and followed them to the letter and it didn't work. Perhaps if Microsoft published detailed instructions specific to more routers then the issue would be more easily resolved. Maybe if Draytek and other companies provided better manuals for their products then the less I.T savvy customers like me wouldn't have to rely on forums like this. I do appreciate the time and effort people have made in replying to this specific issue but if I'm being forced down the line of paying for a static I.P to get remote access then surely that should be highlighted in bold letters by companies selling products which claim that this feature is available?

More
11 May 2013 11:13 #76158 by kc_
works fine on our customers 2012 essentials servers with various draytek routers 2800, 2820, 2830
once your server is configured (ideally with a certificate)

in NAT port forward 443 to your internal server ip
create a firewall rule allowing TCP port 443 to the internal IP
(make sure your filterset orders are correct)

done

p.s we only use static WAN IP

More
11 May 2013 11:20 #76159 by cocospm
Replied by cocospm on topic Re: server essentials 2012 Anywhere access
Well, I can see you are frustrated, but when you just say something 'doesn't work' it is, frankly, very unhelpful - to yourself, at least. Setting up remote access to a server requires that a number of issues need to be addressed correctly. When it 'doesn't work', you need to break down the setup into its constituent parts and test each one to verify its correctness, or otherwise, and troubleshoot items that are not functioning as expected in a stepwise fashion. That's what I was attempting to get you to do. Port forwarding on a Draytek isn't any more difficult than it is on any other router, but when you put it in the context of a server you do need to get all your ducks in a row.

Having a static IP address isn't necessary to make things work, but it is the best approach. As I said, you can alternatively avail yourself of one of the many free dynamic dns (ddns) services that are around.

Setting up and maintaining a server is not the same as for a workstation, and I think it is not unreasonable to assume that the person setting up a server has the basic knowledge needed to do so, or seeks professional help to get it right.

More
11 May 2013 12:16 #76161 by rmc01
Replied by rmc01 on topic Re: server essentials 2012 Anywhere access
I appreciate you are trying to help cocospm

Moderators: Sami