DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

External ADSL Router, how do I connect to WAN2 on 2830n?????

• robster
  • Topic Author
More
10 Apr 2013 13:32 #75809 by robster
Hi

I have just received the external ADSL Router for my additional Broadband connection.

However, one thing I had not really given any thought to is how in hell do I connect it to my WAN2 port??????

Before anyone says anything, I know it is an ethernet cable and I have done that, but what settings should I apply?

does/can my 2830 supply an IP address to the external Router, if so how.

The Router is preconfigured to connect to the new broadband when it goes live but what do I need to configure on the 2830 for it to connect over WAN2?

HELP PLEASE.

Robin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2013 14:28 #75810 by babis3g
Hi
It should connect by going to WAN >> General Setup .. wan 2 (click) >> new window wan 2 click enable YES, active mode>always on, down page click OK to save
Now go to wWAN >> Internet Access >> access mode >> then from the drop down options usally is PPPOE>> details page clcik it
The page coming up top left clcik enable, user name and password, right page Fixed ip set to NO Dynamic (unless your provider is giving you a fixed ip, down page save
Should be ok now and easy but the adsl router may needs to set it as bridged mode

There is one more case you can choice via static or dynamic ip but some times is complicate and may needs more modified other part such DHCP but you don't need to set adsl router at brigde mode

• robster
  • Topic Author
More
10 Apr 2013 14:56 #75813 by robster
Hi

Many thanks for the very quick response.

Unfortunatly I cannot see anyway to put the router into bridged mode, and I have been looking. :cry:

Would it be possible to let the new Router make the connection and then just link one of its ethernet ports to WAN2 port?

And if so, what if any setup would I ned to do on the 2830?

REALLY appreciate the help.

Robin

More
10 Apr 2013 15:27 #75814 by babis3g
the bridge mode should be put at the external router usually is some where with its wan's settings and i am sure it must be there

I have never tried my self with static or dynamic ip and adls connection but the steps are the same
wan general set up, wan 2 enable to yes and always on
wan >> internet access >> static or dynamic ip, enable top left page, fixed ip no

If this not works then you may need go at LAN >> General Setup >> DHCP Server Configuration ... and change the gate away IP address to your router one
example if is 192.168.1.1 with draytek you router may be 192.168.0.1 and this is what you want to change at LAN >> General Setup and gate away ip address
You may also need to change the Start IP address (same page) to lets say 192.168.1.20

As i say i never tried via static or dynamic ip for detailed results but this is the proccess via static or dymanic IP option
But i am sure if you bridge the external router and set the 2830n at pppoe it should work with out problems

• robster
  • Topic Author
More
10 Apr 2013 16:12 #75815 by robster
Well it seems I had to do some ftp voodoo and magic in order to put the supplied modem into bridged mode.

All settings entered although I am not sure where to put some of the settings they gave me!!!

Encapsulation PPPoA (PPP over ATM)
Encapsulation Type VC Mux
Modulation Auto/MultiMode*
VPI/VCI 0/38
Authentication Type CHAP

Any ideas?

Robin

• robster
  • Topic Author
More
10 Apr 2013 16:30 #75816 by robster
Hmmmm

Am I going to have problems with the fact it is requesting PPPoA and my only option on WAN2 is PPPoE????

Robin

Moderators: Sami