DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

External ADSL Router, how do I connect to WAN2 on 2830n?????

More
10 Apr 2013 16:55 #75818 by babis3g
You need to clarify which connection you want to set at each wan

You have 3 choices
1- wan 2
PPPoE is via ehternet and is used when an external modem is connected to wan 2 via bridge mode
Bridge mode disables all features at external modem and the 2830n takes over the connection after set user name & password in most cases
This method is the most easy

2- wan 2
static or dynamic ip
you leave the modem as it is (not bridge mode) and after the suggestions at my post up ... it could be possible a adsl connection to be established (but never tried my self)

3- wan 1
direct to 2830n modem
In this case :
WAN >> General Setup >> wan 1 enable yes, active mode always on
WAN >> Internet Access & in your case >> at this page ... internet access mode choice PPPoA PPPOE>> click details page
at details page appearing ... set the parameters that your isp gave you (protocol PPPoA, VCI 38, VPI 0, etc together with your pass & user name (most cases needed) click ok to save

so one isp at wan 1 direct with its parametres
other isp with the modem you have provided you at bridge mode no matter what its settings but needs to be bridged then at 2830n use PPPoE with usually most cases user name & pass

Hope you get an idea how works

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• robster
  • Topic Author
More
10 Apr 2013 16:59 #75819 by robster
Okay, so I think I am probably okay then.

Fingers crossed.

I have now done the 'hard stuff' I think and aI need to wait for the line to be provisioned (next Wednesday) and hope it all suddenly bursts into life, that would be cool. :D

Many thanks for your help, really appreciated.

Robin

More
10 Apr 2013 17:03 #75820 by babis3g
Ah ok then when saying is urgent i thought you was doing it right now

So 2 connections same time
First with direct set up to 2830n & second connection to wan 2 having two choices (assuming both connections are adsl). Other connections vdsl,mpoa etc other settings apply
Good luck when you ready

Moderators: Sami