DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Maximum sync speed of 2850

More
11 Apr 2013 18:59 #75826 by rhd
Maximum sync speed of 2850 was created by rhd
Hi All,

I have a Plusnet FTTC connection and am currently using the Plusnet supplied BT modem & Netgear router.

However, I need the ability to control & log traffic that I previously had with my old Vigor router & am considering getting a 2850 to replace both BT modem & Netgear router. I saw a suggestion in a previous post that the 2850 can't use VDSL at speeds as high as the BT Openreach modem can. Currently, my Plusnet connection is reporting a 'Current line speed', which I think is the same as sync speed of 78 Mb. Running the BT speedtest at http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com reports a download speed of 62.38 Mb.

Can the 2850 work at or above these speeds?

Regards
Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2013 01:28 #75830 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Maximum sync speed of 2850
I would say as long a decent shop takes it back ... go for it and see
There was few others in here & got few used 2850n from on line retailer and they became very good with just slightly upload lower speeds
If you are interesting check the link below "under used item". It may be a good chance - if not working good - to send it back as faulty (as is all ready used before)
http://www.dabs.com/products/draytek-as-vigor-2850n---support-for-vdsl-infinity-or-adsl-2--7VMS.html?q=draytek%202850n&src=16
Alternative BT shop should have the same offer if you trust them more but i always going to dabs with no problems

More
12 Apr 2013 03:45 #75832 by babis3g
Looking around for news about Draytek products ... you may want to wait for their new machine 2760n, which its specs are just out at draytek.com
http://www.draytek.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=2782:vigor2760n&Itemid=662&lang=en#overview

More
12 Apr 2013 12:15 #75837 by rhd
Replied by rhd on topic Re: Maximum sync speed of 2850

babis3g wrote: I would say as long a decent shop takes it back ... go for it and see

Well, thanks for the suggestion babis3g, but that seems to stressful! I'd rather know the max supported speed before purchase.

More
13 Apr 2013 03:47 #75845 by babis3g
I don't think some one can tell you 100% what speed you can get with any 3rd part modems and if they will do remember each line it does matter so it will not be same case for every one

You may be lucky and works good for your line (it should do if they quoting you arond 76 mb because you must be near at cabinet) ... but you may be unlucky ...
My opinion is: ... the best vdsl modem is the BT openreach.Simply it matches the BT's VDSL cabinet. Any other 3rd pard modem will get slightly lower ... just the point is: not to be that bad
You will have to take your risk and see - and the same apply with any other 3rd part modem

I have seen around (not in here - & perhaps and you've seen it too around) few people have changed 1, 2 & 3 third part VDSL modems because was loosing 5-10 mb speeds
I know is stressful but i also have seen few people just taking a 3rd part modem, using it, not good, returned
I suggested you a good chance at bads or BT shop to try and return it easy in the worst case senario

The 2850 has firewall up to 90 mb (maximum supported speed) if this will helps you, so any speed up to there it should do it

Moderators: Sami