DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2850n issues

• moojuice
  • Topic Author
More
13 Apr 2013 21:47 #75848 by moojuice
2850n issues was created by moojuice
I've just replaced a BeThere Thompson TG585v7 Bebox with this new Draytek 2850n. My line used to sync at 11mbps/1mbps if reset in the day and around 10/1 if reset in the evening using the BeBox. I'm on a 6db margin profile. The Draytek will sync about 10/1mbps in the day but will then disconnect and reset come the evening and sync at around 8/1mbps. The Bebox reported my line as having a 37.5db attenuation on the line, whereas the Draytek thinks the line has a 41db attenuation hence the slower sync speeds. Rather poor so far, loosing 2-3 mbps download speed compared to a cheap router.

I only hope it'll fair better when VDSL is installed in a couple of weeks time. If it's VDSL performance is as pants as it's ADSL, it'll be religated to doing PPPoE to the Openreach modem!

Other issues:
The 2850n often boot loops if powered up with my MF626 (T-Mobile 120) 3G dongle inserted. Dongle needs to be plugged in after the unit is powered up.

My HTC Sensation (Running stock gingerbread) has trouble getting a DHCP address from the Draytek. It sits there taking ages, and eventually its given one. I've tried binding the phones MAC to a fixed IP within the routers config and it hasnt helped. (Running the latest beta firmware 3.6.3_RC1 on the 2850n). It's never had any issues getting an address when the TG585v7 was the DHCP server.

I've also been unable to get the HTC to connect using the 2850's VPN server using L2TP/IPSec with PSK. It might well be something I'm doing wrong, but the draytek is flatly denying the connection. Any suggestions welcome. Also, has anyone heard if and when any future firmware releases will be available? Feels like there are still a few kinks to iron out on this box!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2013 00:47 #75849 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2850n issues
Hi
First about future firmware should be coming one soon. I have seen a post here from a member saying a 3.6.4 beta was given but don't know the fixes

About the HTC the beta you have seems fixed the problem

About VDSL(FTTC) when will be available in your area , you will have to wait and see how will perform, as each line is different. i am guessing you may end up with slightly lower upload
My opinion (and i have said again to an other thread in here) is that the BT modem is the best one, simply because it does match the BT cabinet. I don't know if there is a special communication between them
All other brand 3rd part modems are a bit slower than the BT one

About the ADSL synchronization have a look my tests at link below. You may not understand everything due to my Not good English but you will get an idea
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17573
There are some firmware codes and i am suggesting to try the 2471201. It is the best for most cases with UK lines and will give you less loop attenuator so maybe less line errors plus little more speed
As long is the same firmware between them (example 3.6.3) just use the *all file (*rst will reset the modem)
I have find out with me some times rebooting modem after midnight and early morning is getting higher speeds

• moojuice
  • Topic Author
More
23 Apr 2013 22:08 #75931 by moojuice
Replied by moojuice on topic Re: 2850n issues
Well I've just had Infinity installed today. I'm less than 100m from the PCP. The JDSU test meter Mr Openreach man had reported 101mbit/31mbit capable, syncing at 80/20. I've got an ECI Openreach modem (and an ECI cabinet). Using the provided HomeHub3, speeds peak out about 60-78 mbps download and 18mbps upload.

Using the 2850n in PPPoE (connecting the ECI Openreach modem to the WAN/Ethernet4 port) the Draytek struggles to deliver anything more than 8-9 mbps download and 14mbps upload! Switching back to the HomeHub and speeds are back to normal. I was wanting to use the Draytek like this for the next few weeks in order to let the DLM in the cabinet settle down with the ECI modem in place before using the Draytek's inbuilt VDSL modem.

I've not set up any QOS, throttling, additional firewalling or logging on the Draytek. It has the latest (HTC patch) firmware and was reset with the paperclip before setting up a PPPoE connection. WAN1 and WAN3 disabled, just WAN2 running. All connections and tests done via ethernet cabling. Why is the 2850n so slow? It feels like £200 down the drain :(

More
24 Apr 2013 00:57 #75933 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2850n issues
You have not mentioned DoS is it off?? also try with an other ethernet cable ... are the speeds results wired or wireless???
Have you gone into the DrayTek UI and WAN >> General Setup >> wan 2 >> active mode: always on , enable yes?
Did you connect the ethernet cable coming from BT modem to Lan 4 of the draytek?
Thanks

• moojuice
  • Topic Author
More
02 May 2013 18:48 #76028 by moojuice
Replied by moojuice on topic Re: 2850n issues
I've done some more testing today. All tests are on wired ethernet, various cables tried. DoS off, QoS off, default firewall and only 2 ports open for my server.

If I use the BT ECI VDSL modem and connect to that using Port4/WAN on the 2850n, the download speeds are still pretty poor. Using the 2850n's internal VDSL modem, VLAN tag 101, downloads are about 54mbps, uploads 10mbps. The line stats within the draytek say the line is syncing to 20000 / 79984 mbps and is theoretically capable of 27559/95968 mbps. These correlate with the BT JDSU tests at the time of install.

All speedtests have been done via thinkbroadband.

BT ECI modem & BT HomeHub3:

BT ECI modem and Draytek in PPPoE via WAN port:

Draytek VDSL modem:[img]

I've also noticed 2750 users also having VDSL speed issues. It seems I'm not alone and that the throughput on Draytek's products is shockingly s**te.

More
03 Jun 2013 10:26 #76405 by wallacio
Replied by wallacio on topic Re: 2850n issues
Disappointing, but in some ways reassuring. I thought it was just me seeing the same problem but my situation pretty much exactly mirrors yours moojuice.

Both the BT modem and the 2850n sync at the full 80/20Mbps, being about 50m from the cabinet (which is less than quarter of a mile from the exchange). Downstream isn't usually *too* bad, I've seen speeds of 62Mbps from my 2850n but I've never seen anything more than 7Mbps upstream from it. I can fairly easily get 15Mbps+ upstream from the BT modem.

I had put it down to the firewall (I've got a few, <10, non-default rules set up) thinking that this was causing the bottleneck. QoS is off, I haven't bothered trying PPPoE (what's the point? I bought this router to reduce the number of plugs!).

Not that these speeds are much to complain about in the grand scheme of things, but when you've spent £200+ on a bit of kit, you at the very least expect it to match the performance of the free stuff you get from your ISP.

Moderators: Sami