DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2850N IP Group / Keyword Issue, Possible Bug?

• souk
  • Topic Author
More
19 Apr 2013 14:09 #1 by souk
I'm currently trying to set up my 2850n router to block some 'Key Words' or 'Keyword Groups' for the majority of my office, whilst still allowing specified IP addresses to still have access to browse everything without restriction.

I followed the instructions below, which are for the Vigor 2820 and also work on the Vigor 2850n and below the link is what I found.

http://support.draytek.net.au/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/263/5/how-to-block-facebook-for-some-users-with-the-vigor2820-router

I found that certain network devices within the IP groups that I created can cause the whole IP Group rules to stop working.

For example.

I added PC1, PC2, PC3, Laptop, Iphone 3GS, iPhone 4GS which all have IP addresses Binded to their MAC address's in the same range and stuck them in a IP Group.

And found that the devices specified as well as every other device on the same network were all barred from using the keyword FACE BOOK which I had created.

Just out of curiosity i decided to remove all of the device that I added to the allowed IP Group (ie PC1, PC2, PC3, Laptop, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4GS) and added them back one at a time back in to the group.

I tested them individually within the IP Group which was authorised for browsing all websites and keywords and found that some devices (i.e PC1) would work fine and followed the rules set to allow browsing of FACE BOOK and other devices (i.e iPhone 3gs & PC3) when included within the unrestricted browsing IP Group, caused the IP Group rules to fail completely rendering the whole IP group rule useless; causing all of the devices which were authorised to browse FACE BOOK to lose their granted permission.

My iPhone 4G would work fine by itself whilst added in the (Allow all browsing) IP Group, but my iPhone 3Gs when included within that same IP Group would cause the rule of both iPhones to fail and cause both devices to lose their right for un-restricted browsing

When I added all of the devices that do work individually and added them together back in to the allowed (No Browsing Restriction) IP Group they all work perfectly and can all browse FACEBOOK and any other site perfectly fine.

But by simply adding any other device which doesn't work by itself in to the unrestricted IP Group, it basically causes and prevents all devices from being able to browse FACE BOOK.

Why is this? and is this a known bug??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami