DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Ultra poor speeds on VirginMedia with Vigor2820Vn

• jonners59
  • Topic Author
More
29 Apr 2013 17:29 #75987 by jonners59
I have switched service provider from BeThere where I was enjoying a reliable 8Mb/s to Virgin Media where I was promissed a 30Mb/s service.

My Draytek is a Vigor2820Vn running 3.3.7.3_232201_A Hardware: Annex A

I have set their Router to Modem Mode, so that the service just transits it and connected it to WAN2, on the basis that I have kept my BeThere settings on WAN1 for just in case I go back to them. WAN1 is disabled.

We all noticed that the service was vastly slower than with BeThere, and subsiquent speed tests using a number of online sites has shown that at any time day or night I am only getting Download 0.6Mb/s to 0.7Mb/s and Upload 0.7Mb/s to 1.1Mb/s.... Almost dial up speed!!!!

We are not streaming videos or Tv, just eMail, browsing and the occasional Youtube/Facebook. Some small file sharing and downloads, and PS3 gamming, and VoIP, when there is enough speed!

I have QoS on to allow for the voice

We have two PCs (down from 3) all on Linux/Ubuntu latest releases, one is on all the time and runs a virtual machine running Windows 7 and 3CX IP PBX
2 x Laptops (down from 3) all on Linux/Ubuntu latest releases
4 x mobiles connected via WiFi - all Android
Tv has an internet connection, but we rarely use it, then a Wii, PS3 and I think that's about it.

We have had no issues before and the only change is the Virgin Media as supplier, but that should be faster no slower.

Any ideas, please

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2013 00:36 #75993 by babis3g
With all them devices connected and the use you are doing ( i know is not really much) it seems to me you are capped from VM

Have you seen their new policy of traffic?
http://
community.virginmedia.com/t5/Announcements/
Our-New-Traffic-Management-Policy/m-p/1796688#M143
(join together the link because the forum here censored)

And the allowance for your 30mb package
http://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy-thresholds.html

With 30 mb tariff if you pass over 2750MB YEAP that is 2.75GB ONLY you are capped
You carry on downloading bandwitch your speed going more down etc for download and upload
Weekends is all day this traffic valid

Back to DrayTek case
Try middinghts speed tests LOL to see if the drayTek is ok ... It should do ... Its fire wall (for the 2820 models) is up to 50mb

I am beta tester for the new SH 2 at 100mb package and to tell you the true i really have stopped after the new policy speeds tests :shock:

More
30 Apr 2013 22:07 #76007 by has
With the Virgin Hub in Modem mode connect that directly to your laptop/desktop, run speedtest using http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk and see what you get.

If you are getting higher speeds then something is up with the DrayTek/Configuration.

Im on 100Mb with Virgin and get 105Mbps on speedtest all day long :D
Currently having issues with the 2830Vn+ only giving me 80Mbps :(

• jonners59
  • Topic Author
More
30 Apr 2013 22:53 #76008 by jonners59
Guys.
Thanks. I shall look into these tomorrow. Been working since 6 am so not up to it now.

Babis3G
VM proposition is appalling, throttling back at all is bad. But I had no issues before and whilst I have a number of devices attached not all are on at the same time. And the application does not use very much traffic. So I doubt if they are throttling me back.

I shall try the direct connection test.

I have seen that the QOS can slow down the network, but it did not before we switched to VM, however I shall give disabling it a go.

I suspect it is no more than a configuration issue OR VM has a problem.

More
01 May 2013 03:15 #76011 by babis3g
As i said i am beta tester for the SH 2 and i seen many members (other users has not access at this VM sub forum) complaining about the new traffic policy after performing speed tests which we need to do
This is not a joke what they have done
How ever this policy is valid from the 16/04 so is new and if you use bandwhich more than 2.750 MB (just a HD movie is about 4.500 MB)it will affect you as is affecting me

To see how many MB you have used see this page but remember to reset it early morning
http://192.168.100.1/device_connection_status.html (needs router mode) or go to sign in and then at right device connection status
It will not work with the modem mode but then you can go at draytek Diagnostics >> Traffic Graph (choise wan 2) down of page reset it at morning and see the total use at the end of the night so you will know what is going on with VM

Try night speedtests or best early mornings before 11 am ... if this not the case with VM

If you performing the speed tests wireless then is Normal ...

... but if you are trying tests wired Lan 1 from draytek to Pc ... Here some advises to note with VM using drayteks

-Set your SH at modem mode & let the draytek do the rest
-At draytek set higher values the DoS or disable
-Also QoS make sure are inactive
-make sure at WAN >> General Setup >>> to set WAN 2 auto negotiation , set always on, enable yes, choose ehternet
-Plug the ethernet cable to Lan 4 of the SH (that is the nearest yellow lan close to the coax incoming cable connector - this the best for modem mode use)
-WAN >> Internet Access set obtain ip automatic or WAN Connection Detection set to always on IF will make difference
- If still not good change Lan ...example if you using lan 1 to pc (wired) change to lan 4 from the draytek to pc ... some times it matters

:idea: An other solution i have find my self ... using firmware UK SEG modem code 232201 ... is giving better speeds at wan 2

Latest firmware is here ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2820/Firmware/v3.3.7.4/Annex%20A/
But note the quote if you did wrong or going to upgrate check it

For the users who still use Firmware Version 3.3.5 (and before):
Because the functions and WUI on Firmware Version 3.3.5 (and before) are different with Firmware
Version 3.3.7.2 and later, we strongly suggest you to download the file (V3.3.5.2) from the
following FTP first.
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2820/Firmware/
Upgrade your router with Version 3.3.5.2 first, and last, upgrade the router with Version 3.3.7.2. (I add here me babis then 3.3.7.4)

And remember always upgrating firmware use the *rst* file to eluminate previous bugs and do all settings manaully back from the begin

Take your time when you have chance & Good luck

More
01 May 2013 03:59 #76012 by babis3g

Has wrote: With the Virgin Hub in Modem mode connect that directly to your laptop/desktop, run speedtest using http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk and see what you get.

If you are getting higher speeds then something is up with the DrayTek/Configuration.

Im on 100Mb with Virgin and get 105Mbps on speedtest all day long :D
Currently having issues with the 2830Vn+ only giving me 80Mbps :(

try modem code UK SEG 232201 to me it did got all 100 mbps with my 2830n ... need use *rst* file & all setting manual back from the begin
Latest firmware here
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2830/Firmware/ SB is for single & DB is for dual
but make sure you will download and use the correct firmware
to find out what model you have ... dual or single wan see here
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb/kb_vigor_2830_dual_band.html

Moderators: Sami