Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

1 Server, 2 Subnets - VLAN issues?

• francisbrand
  • Topic Author
More
07 May 2013 08:54 #76067 by francisbrand
1 Server, 2 Subnets - VLAN issues? was created by francisbrand
Hi,

I have a home office. All my office NICs (Macs, Wins, printers) are on 192.168.1.x. All my home NICs are on 192.168.2.1. The former is VLAN1 tag10 and the latter VLAN2 tag20. (I also have a guest wifi access on 192.168.3.1/VLAN3 tag30). My home switch plugs (Netgear GS748T) plugs into my office switch (Netgear GS716T) via a LAG (with two ports). The office switch into the Draytek 2380n, port 1.

The DHCP on my Draytek is:
LAN1 - 192.168.1.1
LAN2 - 192.168.2.1
LAN3 - 192.168.3.1

Inter-LAN routing for LANs1 and 2.

VLAN settings:

VLAN0 - P1
VLAN1 - P1, P2 / SSID1 / LAN1 / VID10
VLAN2 - P1, P2 / SSID2 / LAN2 / VID20
VLAN3 - P1, P3 / SSID3, SSID4 / LAN3 / VID30

All ports on the office switch are untagged with PIDs of 10, unless they have switches attached, in which case they are tagged and have PIDs of 1. Likewise with the home switch but PIDs are 20.

This setup allows me to keep home and office NICs from appearing on each others networks. It also means that any wifi device will end up on the correct subnet depending on it's SSID it logged into.

The problems occurs with the server. I want it to be on both 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1. This is because it hosts network users, shares some files and also is meant ot be sharing a Drobo 5N for offsite (house) backup. I have set up two subnets on the server, both on the main ethernet port 1. They have manual addresses of 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.2.10.

When the server is plugged into a port on the office switch all the office computers seem to see it and act accordingly. Unfortunately the home ones can't. They can still see its webpage but the file sharing seems not to work so well. Also the Drobo 5N that sits on the home network can't be seen by the server.

If I plug the server into the Draytel port 2 (which has both VIDs 10 and 20 checked), the server can be seen from a file sharing point of view (not SMB but this may be something else), it can see and share the Drobo 5N but other services don't work (mail, calendar etc).

I am assuming I have mucked up the login of my VLANs somehow.

Anyone able to understand my garble and help?

Many thanks,

Francis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2013 14:11 #76071 by sicon
Replied by sicon on topic Re: 1 Server, 2 Subnets - VLAN issues?
The best way of sorting the server issue would be with another NIC in the sever with the address for the Home network.
The VLAN setup for the switches sounds ok, I presume the LAG Port is Tagged so the Tagged Packets to travel from the Home Switch, through the Office switch then to the 2830?

Another way you would do it would be to do port based.
For example

Plug the Office Switch into P1
Plug the Home switch into P2 and then allow the interlan routing between the two
You wouldn't need the LAG and VLAN Tags then either unless you have too
VLAN0 = port1 and LAN1 Subnet
VLAN1= port2 and LAN2 Subnet

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami