DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 120 overheating and intermittent connections

More
09 May 2013 12:22 #76123 by akell
I have 4 vigor 120 modems. They feel very hot to touch. Is this normal? One modem has failed completely.

We are having a lot of issues with lines dropping intermittently, but frequently. Would the over heating cause this? We have had the line checked and there are no issues so now looking at internal hardware.

Also is there a firmware update? How do I check we are using the latest firmware. I an update required?

Note: the 4 120 modems are connected to 4 ADSL lines and a Vigor 3200 quad WAN router.

Any guidance appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2013 14:49 #76129 by babis3g
I have read around here long time ago some 120 modems after few months continuous use fails ... then a user left it on the side for few days and was ok again
I don't know if due to the heat so come back to your thread if someone has more informations
I got my 120 V2 used from dabs (was special offer and never used it ... was just for the collection LOL)

Latest firmware (3 years ago) is the 3.2.4.4 and seems forgotten this model together with the V2 ... unless if the support has any beta for you to try

More
27 Jun 2013 18:01 #76814 by elijahg
I had a Vigor 120 occasionally drop the Ethernet side of the connection to my Time Capsule, which was replaced by Draytek. However the replacement has started doing the same. What happens when the warranty runs out and the modem fails again? It seems to have a design flaw that stops them working after a few months. Lead free solder causing dry solder joints perhaps? The lack of firmware updates since 2011 doesn't instil much confidence in Draytek either.

More
28 Jun 2013 07:08 #76821 by admin
If it's failed now, send it back now! There was a problem with some, but since then, and replacements don't have a problem AFAIK.

The lack of firmware updates since 2011 doesn't instil much confidence in Draytek either.

Why? It has a simple function and works well... Why would you expect a firmware update ? I'd argue the opposite, that a product which hasn't had a firmware update for much time must be considered to have perfect firmware!

Forum Administrator

More
28 Jun 2013 07:36 #76822 by akell
Just to update on the original post.

I sent the failed unit back to Draytek and it was fixed/replaced. New unit working ok. Good response from Draytek in UK when sorting this out.

A little concerned that there was an issue with some units as I still have 4 more of these bought at the same time as the failed unit that have not failed and they are now coming out of guarantee. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Moderators: Sami