DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2710Vn setup and line dropping

• sparkymarcopolo
  • Topic Author
More
13 May 2013 15:11 #76174 by sparkymarcopolo
2710Vn setup and line dropping was created by sparkymarcopolo
I've noticed my 2710Vn is dropping the ADSL line periodically, can be 1 hour, 1 day or 5 days. Here's the settings I'm using

DSL Modem Settings
Multi-PVC channel 1
VPI 0
VCI 38
Encapsulating Type VCMUX
Protocol PPPoA
Modulation ADSL2 992.5

MTU 1442

Firmware 3.6.3_232201

I was with O2 and now with Plusnet and had this problem with both suppliers

Any ideas, is there a log I can check to see the disconnection reason?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2013 16:09 #76175 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2710Vn setup and line dropping
For log you can use router activity tool or syslog tool from download support pages
Then enable syslog at 2710 System Maintenance >> SysLog / Mail Alert Setup and watch any activity at wan or connection and send it to support if they can help you
How to use it here:
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_syslog.html

An other very basic suggestion is to telnet the router with log command
example
Telnet to the router and use the log command ... but never tried my self because i am not having adsl issues
log ? - shows you the options
The useful ones are log -w or log -p etc (but don't remember clearly all of them right now)

In mean time you can try latest firmware 3.6.3.2 with the modem code (i m suggesting) below ... and then if you still have problem check after for problems with logs
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2710/Firmware/v3.6.3.2/annexA/
use the modem code 2471201 ... is from the best for uk lines with less errors, less loop attenuator and is giving little more speed ... so in total could be for your line more stable (remember changing provider is still using the same copper line so personal it makes me believes the modem code i suggested it will make difference)

Remember master reset first and then when update use the *RST* file and do all settings back from the begin MANUALLY

• sparkymarcopolo
  • Topic Author
More
13 May 2013 19:03 #76177 by sparkymarcopolo
Replied by sparkymarcopolo on topic Re: 2710Vn setup and line dropping
When you say master reset, do you mean a reboot 'Using factory default configuration'?

Will this mean I will loose all wireless configuration/etc?

Thanks

More
14 May 2013 00:15 #76180 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2710Vn setup and line dropping
yes that what i mean or just press and hold for few seconds the reset button ... or using the RST file will clean up all settings and will put back to factory defaults and losing all current settings ... with any of these 3 methods

Draytek reccoments with each new firmware the rst file because with previous firmware bugs can come into the newest upgrade and also some times can cost issues with new added features each new firmware has

If is pain to do all settings back from the begin then just use same firmware you have now 3.6.3 and use the *ALL* file with modem code 2471201
The ALL file will load the suggested modem code and will not change any settings you have

A small TIp

is to go at System Maintenance >> Configuration Backup before you do anything ... and back up to a file at your pc all current settings ... in the case you ever make a mistake in the future

This link for you with the firmware you have but get the 247... and use the *ALL* file to stay same settings
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2710/Firmware/V3.6.3/annexA/

This is from draytek support pages to help you

When to use the 'RST' file

The .ALL file contains the router's firmware. If you flash the .ALL file, the router should retain all of its existing settings and after it has flashed and rebooted will resume normal operation automatically. Never change the filename or attempt to alter/edit the firmware file.

If you are making a major firmware upgrade (for example where the first digit changes, say 1.5 to 2.6), or where the readme.txt notes recommend it, you should use the RST file which will clear all existing router settings. The RST file is also necessary if your router has corrupted firmware, or invalid settings which cause it to malfunction. A firmware corruption should not occur during normal usage but can occur if the router is subject to abnormal trauma (e.g. power/line spike or brown-out). Firmware or settings abnormalities can also occur if you have attempted to flash an invalid firmware file into the router, or tried to restore settings from an incompatible model/device. Reflashing the correct RST file will restore the router's firmware and also the 'factory default' settings of the router, wiping all existing settings. The unit must then be re-configured from scratch. Do not attempt to restore backed up settings from a file if the backup file was taken from a router with corrupt/invalid settings.

Moderators: Sami