Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Dynamic DNS

• ptp400
  • Topic Author
More
16 May 2013 13:01 #76220 by ptp400
Dynamic DNS was created by ptp400
Can anyone help me?

My Draytek 2710n router has a dynamic address that is assigned by my ISP. I host a small website on a NAS attached to my router and have a domain name supplied by freedomain.co.nr.

I can point the domain name to my NAS by running the URL ‘http://www.freedomain.co.nr/dyna.php?domain=mydomainname&tld=co.nr&pass=mypassword‘ from within my home network.

However when my router disconnects for any reason, when it reconnects it usually has a different IP so the link to my domain name is broken until I run the URL again which I may not be able to do if I am not at home.

Is there any way to automatically run the URL from within the router when it reboots so the link is automatically re-established, e.g. by some way using the dynamic DNS application within the router.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2013 00:04 #76268 by suprawez
Replied by suprawez on topic Re: Dynamic DNS
Why don't you just run a scheduled job on the web server to execute that link every 15mins ;)

Draytek 2750n on Zen Broadband

• ptp400
  • Topic Author
More
21 May 2013 10:55 #76274 by ptp400
Replied by ptp400 on topic Re: Dynamic DNS

SupraWez wrote: Why don't you just run a scheduled job on the web server to execute that link every 15mins ;)

Thanks for your reply. My web server is a readynas duo and I don't know how to do what you suggest. I am a bit out of my depth to be honest.

More
21 May 2013 11:05 #76275 by suprawez
Replied by suprawez on topic Re: Dynamic DNS
There may be a ReadyNAS plugin for your Dynamic DNS provider, I would check this first.

I dont have any personal experience of the ReadyNAS but having a quick search shows that you can gain local access to the device via SSH, you should then be able to setup a scheduled job via cron to poll that webpage every 5 minutes.

Draytek 2750n on Zen Broadband

• ptp400
  • Topic Author
More
21 May 2013 23:13 #76296 by ptp400

SupraWez wrote: There may be a ReadyNAS plugin for your Dynamic DNS provider, I would check this first.

I dont have any personal experience of the ReadyNAS but having a quick search shows that you can gain local access to the device via SSH, you should then be able to setup a scheduled job via cron to poll that webpage every 5 minutes.

Thanks SupraWez.

I had a look but could not find an add on for my nas which would do what I want and have no experience with ssh.

I noticed in my router that if I enabled dynamic dns account and select service provider as customized I have options to select Auth type as URL and connection type as http. I was hoping that I could enter the URL as per my original post but I do not know where.

Thanks for any help and sorry to be such a newbie.

• ptp400
  • Topic Author
More
30 May 2013 17:08 #76353 by ptp400
In case it helps anyone else, I solved my problem. Following the FAQ below, I configured my router to automatically run the URL to automatically update my IP address with my domain name provided. Happy days!

http://www.draytek.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=2754:how-to-configure-customized-ddns-on-vigor-2830-2850-2920?&Itemid=293&lang=en

Moderators: Sami