DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Routing WAN traffic through LAN, to separate gateway on 2850

• dr_krippen
  • Topic Author
More
22 May 2013 13:14 #1 by dr_krippen
I have been trying to configure my 2850n as a makeshift AP, using separate kit to provide the WAN connection. To explain the issue, its probably best to describe the setup.

I have a separate router acting as the DHCP host and 'net gateway. This is interfacing with a switch over a single tagged VLAN, which is then passing connections to other devices over the same VLAN. I have interfaced the 2850 into the switch via LAN2, and added this to a VLAN, tagged to 20. I have then added an SSID to the same VLAN within the 2850. The LAN has been setup with the DHCP relay function, so all IP's are assigned from the main router.

So far, everything works fine. Any devices connecting to the SSID obtain an IP via DHCP from the main router. The issue is that they cannot route back out via the gateway. The other devices (Main router and the switch) can ping the 2850, with no problem, and the 2850 can ping the main router and switch directly as well, but any devices connected to the SSID cannot route past the 2850. Whenever you try and ping, for example, the DHCP server, you get "Destination Host Unreachable" which would indicate the 2850 does not know how to route the traffic to this IP.

Now i would assume you should be able to set a general rule, such as on a cisco, to setup a default route for all traffic, but I cannot seem to find this.

Can anyone advise on how to implement the above? I have managed to do this with no config at all on a Netgear router, so find it hard to believe the 2850 won't do it.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami