DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2960 Shortcomings

• sponge
  • Topic Author
More
11 Jun 2013 15:13 #76507 by sponge
2960 Shortcomings was created by sponge
Vigor 2960 Series Router Firewall SME - SME = Small and Medium sized Enterprises (50-250 staff).
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2960.html

This device is simply not fit for purpose and not as described. Apart from the poor and limited firmware Draytek states that this product supports "IPSec VPN - LAN-to-LAN or Teleworker (200 tunnels)" and while that may be so it goes on to list the potential benefits of SSL VPN for teleworkers over PPTP but what it fails to mention in any documentation is that SSL VPN clients are limited to only 10 profiles. This means no more than 10 staff can SSL VPN and connect to their computers for Remote Desktop or VNC. Web Proxy addresses are also limited to only 10 hosts, making this device unsuitable for SMEs unless your business is ‘very’ small indeed and certainly NOT for SMEs as advertised. Don't fall into this trap. Draytek should state the SSL VPN profile limit as 10 and not leave it to the customer to fall foul.

Alongside the flakey firmware and inconsistent results when using the SSL VPN for remote access, such as fullscreen mode covering the taskbar, inability to connect to web proxy addresses, blocked Java content for RDP and VNC connections plus the inability to change the router date via the web console are some of the reasons we are returning this device immediately.

SSL VPN profile limits Remote Desktop connections to only 10 machines on your network.

SSL VPN profile limits VNC connections to only 10 machines on your network.

SSL VPN profile limits Web Proxy connections to only 10 web hosts on your network.

The only way to change Router date is via Telnet CLI. So all Router logs will show wrong date unless you fix this. Latest firmware does not fix this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2013 10:58 #76576 by sicon
Replied by sicon on topic Re: 2960 Avoid this Router
OUCH! that's a shame as I does show potential.
Is the 3900 limited in such a way as well? I hope not!

More
14 Jun 2013 16:16 #76584 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2960 Avoid this Router

sicon wrote: OUCH! that's a shame as I does show potential.
Is the 3900 limited in such a way as well? I hope not!

If you mean the WUI ... then yes is the same for the 3900 and the 2760 (i already have it) ... seems from now on thats how will be the newest models

More
14 Jun 2013 19:39 #76592 by the pit
Replied by the pit on topic Re: 2960 Avoid this Router
I take it you're not impressed. I can sell you another brick you if like.

More
04 Jul 2013 11:04 #76874 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 2960 Shortcomings
Are you sure about this? The unit's spec. shows up to 100 tunnels, so surely it allows >10 profiles.

I don't have a V2960, but is there perhaps a 'more' button that shows further pages of profiles, like on the Vigor3300
port forwarding ?

Forum Administrator

More
08 Jul 2013 08:58 #76906 by orderwise
Replied by orderwise on topic Re: 2960 Shortcomings

admin wrote: Are you sure about this? The unit's spec. shows up to 100 tunnels, so surely it allows >10 profiles.

I don't have a V2960, but is there perhaps a 'more' button that shows further pages of profiles, like on the Vigor3300
port forwarding ?

Admin, there is no More button.
It is limited to 10

Moderators: Sami