Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

qos, are the guides wrong

• paperclip69
  • Topic Author
More
17 Jun 2013 23:37 #76666 by paperclip69
qos, are the guides wrong was created by paperclip69
Hi

I am trying to setup QOS for voip over a vpn, I have got it working I think, when I look at the status it's listing traffic in the Voip graph, so I think it's working,

couple of things though, I could only get it working by adding a firewall rule that just lists the same as qos but assigning it a class, the guides don't show this step but I found it didn't work without it.

also the guides say that it doesn't hold the bandwidth unless it is fighting against other traffic on the line, I found that this is not right, I ran a speed test with just my laptop plugged in and no voip traffic and it got a much slower result than with QOS disabled, so it does seem that qos holds bandwidth.

I am using a 2830 with Firmware 3.6.3

can anyone give light to this?

cheers

Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2013 18:02 #76937 by nathan8
Replied by nathan8 on topic Re: qos, are the guides wrong
Hi

2830n and seperate 2830

I've done everything they say in the manual, and it never matches a rule. Everything is always in "other".
How do you set the firewall rules up?

Good feature, but terrible documentation if you cant get it working. I think a lot of people are giving up on this.

More
10 Jul 2013 22:49 #76941 by nathan8
I was going to attach a bunch of pictures showing my config but no pic facility here.

I made a rule, any packet going to any port going to the IP of my laptop should be cauugth and set priority 1

remote any
local 192.168.1.11
udp + tcp
0-65535
IP presecdence 1
class3

it never matches a single packet! I've tried the pre-defined services (port types) for http ftp etc, no avail.

Seriously the QOS set up system is overcomplicated at best (why not just tabularize everything on one page?? and then I think it actually does not work.

Please prove me wrong.

I am on firmware 3.6.4_sb_232201

More
10 Jul 2013 22:58 #76942 by nathan8
nailed it....

DiffServ CodePoint I had on "IP Presendence 1" it should be set to any

I misunderstood, I thought it was setting the flags, it was looking for them, not finding them and thus not matching.

Onward! My mistake there lets see how far I can get now

N

• paperclip69
  • Topic Author
More
11 Jul 2013 11:36 #76945 by paperclip69
Replied by paperclip69 on topic Re: qos, are the guides wrong
Hi

yeah I tried to play with the code point settings as well but it just seemed to break it.

I found that the documentation on the .com site better than the .co.uk but it still seems a little out of date.

I got a couple of emails from they support people but to be honest it was conflicting and slow, I guess this is just draytek, if they weren't such good routers I wouldn't bother with them but for the money they offer a huge amount of features.

they need someone to come in a shake the company up.

Tom

More
13 Jul 2013 17:57 #76957 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: qos, are the guides wrong
http://draytek.co.uk/support/kb/kb_qos.html

this one seems pretty recent to me?

Moderators: Sami