DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2830n SB Internet access fails after a few minutes

• network_guy
  • Topic Author
More
18 Jun 2013 11:52 #1 by network_guy
Hi,
I've got a 2830n SB version running the latest firmware. I've just added a VMware machine to my network and the guest/virtual machine is losing access to the internet after a few minutes. The router shows that the arp is disappearing from the cache. I've got a Cisco 3550 switch which is showing no problems at all, and the MAC address never dissappears from it. The only way I can restore service is to disable/enable the server NIC.
I can still access the VMware server and it's guest/virtual machine without problem.
It's all on one subnet 10.76.7.0/24.
I suspect this is going to result in a load of responses pointing accusing fingers at the VM, (and I tend to think so too), but I thought I'd ask here too, to ensure there isn't a known problem with the router.

Thanks in advance,

Andy.

ADDITIONAL: OK so maybe it isn't the VM server. The router had an ARP cache timeout set to 60 seconds, I bit short I think. I set it to 300 seconds and a huge improvement, BUT when I did a Windows Update, it took longer than 300 seconds to finish it's analysis and the ARP Cache again timed out. However even pinging internet servers, and tracerouting to them, (got as far as the router), wouldn't repopulate the ARP Cache. That is not right! :o Only when I manually entered the MAC Address - "Bind MAC to IP" under the LAN section did it return to life.

Need some Support here please Draytek.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami