DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2850n Log In/Connection times

• clozzy
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jun 2013 11:00 #76744 by clozzy
2850n Log In/Connection times was created by clozzy
Hello - I've had the Draytek 2850 for a while now but one of the issues that I am still facing is the time it takes to actually establish a connection.

If I connect WAN2 via Ethernet to the Openreach supplied VDSL modem, and 'Dial PPPoe' it takes a couple of seconds to establish a connection (assuming the DSL line is synced and the DSL light on the modem is ON steady).

If, on the other hand, I connect the DSL line to the Draytek, it takes a couple of seconds for it to sync and populate the VDSL connection info in the Physical Connection display. But then it just sits there for minutes trying to 'Dial PPPoe" frequently displaying 'Message [ PPPoE : No response from server side. ]'. Rebooting, power off/on does not seem to make a difference. I scoured the forums and all the help and documentation I can find to ensure that I've set this up correctly (and I'm 99.99% sure that is the case). Once a connection is made, then it generally seems to work fine - but it cannot take that long to establish a connection. I have the most current firmware (3.6.4_2471201).

Any ideas ? Does anyone else have this issue ? ISP is plus.net.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• clozzy
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jun 2013 11:03 #76745 by clozzy
Replied by clozzy on topic Re: 2850n Log In/Connection times
BTW: I should add that using the Draytek as a modem and router uses WAN1, not WAN2.

More
21 Jun 2013 16:26 #76755 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2850n Log In/Connection times
Using the 2850 as modem ... & assuming at WAN >> Internet Access >> details page you have the correct settings and passwords
Have you gone at wan>>general set up>>wan 1>>
enable YES and active mode always on
then VLAN Tag insertion (VDSL) >> enable
Tag value 101

It should work now without problem

• clozzy
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jun 2013 18:32 #76758 by clozzy
Replied by clozzy on topic Re: 2850n Log In/Connection times
Yes, I've done all of that. The username/password are set up, ALWAYS ON is selected; VLAN tag = 101 - and the setup as detailed in the various documents I've found about configuring the 2850. It just sits there and clicking on 'Dial PPPoe' on WAN1 appears to do nothing. If I wait long enough (and we're talking 5+ minutes) it *might* connect.

As I've indicated, once I managed to get connected it seems to stay up, but if I have any line drops (for whatever reason), it takes AGES to re-establish a connection. I am beginning to wonder if I just have duff hardware.

More
22 Jun 2013 00:26 #76759 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2850n Log In/Connection times
Few more points to try

try instead of PPPoE ... PPPoA at internet access setup page
Go to LAN >> General Setup >> DNS Server IP Address and add manually the BT infinity ones
Use or your account username and password or the BT homehub or use your phone number and password leave it blank or add a space

I would also recommend to do a master reset and load firmware again with *rst* file

More
22 Jun 2013 15:07 #76763 by cocospm
Replied by cocospm on topic Re: 2850n Log In/Connection times
I can confim the same fault on 3 other 2850s. Resetting and reconfiguring is not helpful.

Moderators: Sami