DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Internet at a crawl after switching connection: Router -> AP

• tr1p0d
  • Topic Author
More
29 Jun 2013 23:52 #76832 by tr1p0d
Hi

I'm having an issue with my mobile devices when roaming around the house. At my desk in the front of my house, I have a Vigor2130 router. There's nothing too flamboyant about the setup on the router; wireless is configured as wpa2 aes, there are a few IP's bound to specific mac addresses (desktops/servers only) and that's about it.

Out the back of the house, I have a VigorAP 800 to provide a better wireless signal out in the garden. The router and AP are essentially connected by Devolo homeplugs. There's nothing particularly exciting with the setup on that either - essentially it has its own IP and looks to the router as the default gateway.

My issue is when I go out into the garden, I get no real internet connection at all for maybe 10 minutes. I know I'm connected to the AP as my wireless signal strength is very good. All channels are set to ones unused by any other house around (incidentally, it's scary to see how many local wireless setups all used channel 1!).

I can ping my router from the garden with no dropouts or even long time responses. All ~30ms or less.

What's weird is that I can sometimes get plain text no problem. If, for example, I'm searching Google or browsing Reddit, I can see a list of links. Loading an image or accessing a link/viewing a video just won't work unless, like I said, I'm outside for maybe 10 minutes.

I'm utterly confused by all of this.

FWIW, the homeplugs aren't a problem, I can access files on my server no problem - it seems to be internet only!

Thanks for any help

Ryan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2013 01:04 #76833 by babis3g
Maybe try disable DHCP at the AP

• tr1p0d
  • Topic Author
More
30 Jun 2013 20:47 #76835 by tr1p0d
dhcp already disabled on the ap.

Moderators: Sami