DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

WAN2 Modem on VLAN

• ateece
  • Topic Author
More
12 Jul 2013 16:40 #76953 by ateece
WAN2 Modem on VLAN was created by ateece
Where my Draytek 2830 is located I only have 1 RJ45 cable. However I need to route a WAN2 modem and the LAN to the router.

So I have my Modem (satellite) connected to a switch on VLAN2. The switch then connects th P1 of the Draytek and is configured as a VLAN Trunk. I have then connected P2 of the draytek to the WAN port.

On the Draytek in the general setup of WAN2 I have set the VLAN tag value as 2.

No matter what I try though it wont work! I've tried various configurations of VLANs no the draytek with no luck. It sometimes gets an IP off the LAN (DHCP is not done on the draytek) even though it should only be seeing VLAN 2 traffic on the WAN2 port.

Do VLANs work properly on WAN2? Is it worth chasing Draytek support with a bug?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2013 18:05 #76959 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: WAN2 Modem on VLAN
As far as I'm aware, VLAN tags on the WAN interface definitely work but maybe the router's switch is stripping the VLAN tag going through from port 1 to port 2? Have you tried connecting the switch directly to WAN2 to see if that works? Or using a basic switch between the two?

Come to think of it, with 3.6.4 they added a failsafe setting for the LAN 1 port - on the LAN - VLAN page, untick that tickbox that's below the table so that LAN port 1 can pass VLAN tagged traffic?

• ateece
  • Topic Author
More
16 Jul 2013 16:50 #76991 by ateece
Replied by ateece on topic Re: WAN2 Modem on VLAN
Thanks for the suggestion Voodle.

I have got it working, but with a switch as a temp solution until this bug is fixed. VLAN tags on the WAN interface is working as you suggested.

It appears that the Draytek drops the tags that come into the LAN ports. I did numerous tests and cannot find any other explanation. Once I pass tagged traffic into the Draytek LAN ports (regardless of which one and lots of different configurations) I never get tagged traffic back out. All of the documentation and samples show the Draytek as being the device that inserts the tags into the traffic. It is never "in the middle".

I tried plugging into all the LAN ports with my wire from the switch. Configuring the port into LAN2, VLAN tag 2, etc all to no avil. I even thought to enable LAN2 but disable DHCP incase it was something weird about using a disabled LAN.

Moderators: Sami