Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

What am I missing

• franses
  • Topic Author
More
19 Jul 2013 22:27 #77025 by franses
What am I missing was created by franses
Hello,

I have acquired a spare Vigor 2820n ASDL2+ router that I would like to use (connected wirelessly as this old house has walls that would shield a nuclear fission experiment and ether would be too messy) as an extra repeater in the HMO I live in to provide Wi-Fi coverage for a separate wing of the building. There is already one 2820n set up as the main router hardwired to a BT Business Broadband connection and to prove Wi-Fi does, notwithstanding, get through the walls, ceiling etc., I have already managed to add an AP700 to one wing already. I have rtfm's of both equipment and trawled the internet but whatever I seem to do, although the second router polls, my laptop suggests it is connected (yet my iPod just tries without success) yet will not get me through to the outside world.

I realise it might be a shot in the dark, but if anyone kindly might have any ideas as to what I am likely to have omitted in settings on either of the 2820n's, I can only offer you my deepest gratitude in advance...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• franses
  • Topic Author
More
20 Jul 2013 08:35 #77027 by franses
Replied by franses on topic Re: What am I missing
Update:

I have managed to get the second 2820n to work as a repeater that devices can connect wirelessly to and see the Internet, but only if I connect it by cat5 to the main router, but when I unplug the ether the two 2820's aren't talking - which suggests the main is not expecting connection from the second by Wi-Fi - do I have to define the repeater 2820 on the main 2820 somewhere (?). It worked automatically with the AP700 (I only had to make changes to its settings for the main 2820 to accept it as a repeater when positioned and switched on)

Grateful to anyone who knows as I'm an assuming thickie... :?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami