DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 2860n - VDSL/VDSL2?

• niggly54
  • Topic Author
More
27 Jul 2013 22:59 #77106 by niggly54
Draytek 2860n - VDSL/VDSL2? was created by niggly54
I am in the process of typing in my configuration for my new Draytek 2860n- to replace my trusty 2850n. I noticed that the physical connection page for the new router shows 'VDSL2 information', whereas the 2850n says 'VDSL information'. Does anyone know if this is just Draytek being more 'up to date' or is there really a difference in the routers capabilities?
Also- the VDSL Status page seems to have disappeared. This was very useful for seeing error rates etc.. Does anyone know if it's gone or moved?
The very nice man I spoke to at Broadbandbuyer told me there were only a few differences between the two routers and did not mention the VDSL/VDSL2 difference. I bought it for its 6 gigabit ports and 200mb/sec firewall throughtput. Plus- I love playing with new hardware!
PS If all goes well- my 2850n is going on EBay soon :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2013 11:21 #77107 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Draytek 2860n - VDSL/VDSL2?
For the physical connection page it seems is up to date informations because now days almost everyone is using vdsl2 ... so is the same capabilities

I don't have this model but at live demo if you go at left column system maintenance & click it, is still appearing as first submenu, but seems the dashboard is appearing by default after log in ... if is not there by going manually at system maintenance>>online status them indeed must removed because the dashboard does the same work & it uses graphic icons

Broadband buyer is indeed a very good shop and maybe they did not mention difference at vdsl/vdsl2 because is the same but the 2850 has outdated informations while both has the same vdsl protocol
some main difference

• niggly54
  • Topic Author
More
28 Jul 2013 12:11 #77109 by niggly54
Replied by niggly54 on topic Re: Draytek 2860n - VDSL/VDSL2?
Thanks for that babis3g.
It woulds appear the VDSL status menu is indeed missing on the 2860, which is a shame, but maybe it will reappear at a later date.
The new Linux based o/s seems very quick on the 2860 compared to the DrayOS on the 2850.
Also, the 2860 syncs at 79mb down, where the 2850 could only mange 75mb. Speedtesting has proved it is a very good performer.
My 2850 is now on EBay.......

More
30 Jul 2013 13:38 #77132 by alanplum241276
Replied by alanplum241276 on topic Re: Draytek 2860n - VDSL/VDSL2?
I agree.

I'm using the 2860 with BT Infinity and can find no VDSL status page :(

Getting full 80/20 sync speed though. Very pleased with it.

Using the beta firmware BTW.

More
30 Jul 2013 16:55 #77136 by stripeytom
Replied by stripeytom on topic Re: Draytek 2860n - VDSL/VDSL2?

alanplum241276 wrote: I agree.

I'm using the 2860 with BT Infinity and can find no VDSL status page :(

Getting full 80/20 sync speed though. Very pleased with it.

Using the beta firmware BTW.

I just installed a 2860n, and after call to help desk got it up and running. Although it syncs at 80/20 as you state, the real world throughput is disappointingly slower than BT modem/HH3 combo. Using speedtest.net I was getting typically 72/18 with BT. The 2860n is only achieving around 45/7.

Any suggestions for optimising settings to boost throughput? What difference does the beta firmware make in this regard, if any?

• niggly54
  • Topic Author
More
30 Jul 2013 23:02 #77139 by niggly54
Replied by niggly54 on topic Re: Draytek 2860n - VDSL/VDSL2?
2850n sold on EBay :-)
stripeytom- I have not changed any of the default settings to achieve my speeds. The only thing I have found (same with the 2850) is that turning on QoS slows things quite a bit.
I am using the beta firmware and speedtest.net gives me ~75mb/s down and ~19mb/s up.
If your sync speed is at the Infinity 2 max- then your speeds should be higher.
Try the BT wholesale speedtester here http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com and see what results you get. Run the further diagnostics and see what IP profile is set on your line.
Let us know what you find.

Moderators: Sami