Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Port Redirection v Open Ports v DMZ Host

• kampernaut
  • Topic Author
More
04 Oct 2013 11:58 #1 by kampernaut
Port Redirection v Open Ports v DMZ Host was created by kampernaut
Hello,

My first post and I am evidently not a networking expert, so please treat me gently :)

I've just ordered a 2860n to replace the standard BT Infinity router mainly for VoIP traffic prioritisation.

On the Infinity router, the only thing connected to the wired LAN ports is a Cisco PIX firewall that protects my company's internal network. The Infinity router replaced an older 2Wire ADSL router when we upgraded to VDSL. The old 2Wire router had port forwarding set up to allow IPSec VPN termination to the PIX. Specifically it forwarded ports 443 (TCP), 22 (TCP), 500 (UDP), 10000 (TCP) and 4500(UDP). However, trying to replicate that on the Infinity router did not work and the only way we could get it to function (with BT's help) was to forward all ports (0 to 65355) to the PIX effectively disabling the firewall. I'm not sure but I think this may have undesirable consequences for the WiFi network provided by the Infinity router.

Having read the FAQ on Vigor Port Forwarding , it seems I have more options with the 2860n: port redirection, open ports and DMZ Host. Given that we wish to exploit the wireless capabilities of the 2860n, which of these strategies would you recommend I use and why?

Thank you,

K

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami