DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2750 - Vodafone SureSignal cuts off outgoing VPN

• ashleyhinton
  • Topic Author
More
15 Oct 2013 10:12 #1 by ashleyhinton
Hello

We are using a Vigor 2750N at home and have a curious issue with a VodaFone SureSignal.
I thought I'd put the issue I'm having "out there" for any thoughts, as it seems to be the reverse of problems others experience with a SS.

The SS is on my LAN, picks up DHCP, connects to Vodafone absolutely fine & works a treat except it blocks Cisco/Cisco-compatible VPN connections back into the office (IPSEC)

Others on the Vodafone forum have reported that attempting to connect to a corporate VPN will kill the SS VPN connection. In our case the reverse is true, the SS blocks corporate VPN. The solution is to unplug the SS ethernet cable when working from home.

My understanding is that the SS uses ports 4500 & 500 (amongst others), which other IPSEC VPN connections also use.
I just wanted to be absolutely correct in my understanding that since its establishing a tunnel from inside my LAN, there is no way the 2750 can tell which ports are for the SS and which ones are for other things - 4500 & 500 are established to Vodafone and the WAN cannot then use the same ports for other tunnels.

It seems an odd situation that Vodafone wouldn't have tested it inside a home network to see whether it plays nicely with other VPN connections, as people do work from home and do use IPSEC VPN back into their offices. Its a proprietary, managed, product so they could have chosen any range of custom TCP/IP ports to use which wouldn't interfere with anything :roll:

I'm wondering whether I could set up some static routes to the SureSignal - Vodafone publish the IP addresses it connects to - but before I go to the trouble I wanted to mention it here incase anyone has suggestions. I suspect my answer will be "just unplug the ethernet cable..."

Thanks,

Ashley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami