DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860 DSL Dropping Frequently

More
26 Nov 2013 16:09 #78365 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2860 DSL Dropping Frequently
when updating firmware is good to use the *RST* file which cleans all previous settings ... this is good because due to new firmware settings or added features with previous firmware bugs can cause conflict if the *ALL* file used
Maybe that is your case ?? how ever if now works i would say leave it as it is ... (if working not touch) ... but once you have opened a ticket should report it to the support team :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bert.twildge
  • Topic Author
More
26 Nov 2013 16:32 #78366 by bert.twildge
Replied by bert.twildge on topic Re: 2860 DSL Dropping Frequently
HI

I agree, I prefer a config reset after a firmware update. I wish there were a text based way to move configs around with Drayteks like the cisco world. I have many static IPs and adding them all back in after a .rst update is a pain. When I performed the 3.7.3 update I did not use the .rst update file, I kept the original config. The router was fine for a few days but then starting dropping like mad. The router was rebooted many times with the faulty config. ADSL has been up now for over 1.5 hours on the 2860n so I'll leave it alone. It will be interesting to see if I have an issue in a few days like last time.

I'm on the router over a VPN so I'll check the actual ADSL speeds tonight. I'll report all of this to Draytek too. I've only dealt with them once before over the phone with a faulty 2820 and they were very helpful.

Thanks

• bert.twildge
  • Topic Author
More
27 Nov 2013 14:01 #78375 by bert.twildge
Hi

I think I've found the issue!

I've played with the 2860 this morning to try and create the problem I saw yesterday with ADSL dropping all the time. If I try and use QoS on my outbound packets the ADSL line drops every 2 or 3 minutes. As soon as I disable QoS tagging the problem stops and ADSL becomes stable again. I assume Sky don't like me using QoS and are kicking me off?

Thanks

More
27 Nov 2013 14:48 #78376 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 2860 DSL Dropping Frequently
What type of QoS? Although the router can prioritise what it sends to the WAN, expecting
your ISP to give a hoot or respect any tags is not going to help... though they shouldn't
be throwing a wobbly - ignoring them is bad enough. That said, it may not be the
ISP for sure . Check the logs and ask support for further clues.

Forum Administrator

• bert.twildge
  • Topic Author
More
27 Nov 2013 15:13 #78378 by bert.twildge
Hi

I was tagging AF1 on some traffic and as soon as I enable this the Vigor gets disconnected on the ADSL line every 2 or 3 mins. If I disable tagging the router stays connected permanently. It would be interesting to try this setting on another line to see if it is a Sky thing. The logfile doesn't help much really, it just shows the line going down and then back up again.

Support have just come back to me to say:

"Thanks for your email. As well as the QOS the "Enable priority for VOIP" can also cause drops and slow speeds. If this is enable please disable it if you are not using "VOIP"."

I'll try disabling voip prioritisation tonight to see if this speeds things up a little when compared to the Sky Netgear. I use voip but it would be good to see if I can get the same speed with the 2860 as I can with the Sky Netgear as a test.

Thanks

More
26 Feb 2014 16:20 #79216 by abbas
Replied by abbas on topic Re: 2860 DSL Dropping Frequently
Hello Bert.Twildge,

How is your 2860 with Sky behaving now? Is it fully functional without loosing connection? Have you upgraded to fibre?

I have been recently moved to Sky Fibre (from O2) and experienced all sorts of problems. I have remote access into my network via VPN and remote desktop. All was working well before I was moved to Sky.

Currently, I have a Vigor 2820 and got it part-working with Sky, using DMZ. To get what I used to have before, my best bet would be a 2860vn, according to the reads on the forums. I don't have voip now, but may be in future.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Moderators: Sami