DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2830 not routing via IPsec VPN tunnel

• gus_mitchell
  • Topic Author
More
30 Nov 2013 14:31 #1 by gus_mitchell
2830 not routing via IPsec VPN tunnel was created by gus_mitchell
Apologies for the long post but I thought it important to provide a full history.

Scenario:

I have a Draytek 2830n at a remote site. The site has two WAN services. WAN1 is ADSL (BT). WAN2 is Ethernet (Cable from VirginMedia).

I use 3 x IPSEC VPNs to connect to various HQ services - including VoIP. I use Load Balancing to spread the load between the two WAN connections - separating "important" VPN traffic from non-important Internet traffic.

I was on site on Friday to install some new laptops & VoiP phones and also move our VPN services from WAN1 to WAN2 since the cable broadband is more reliable than the ADSL.

Problem 1:

Everything went well, the VPNs transferred successfully and all was good until I noticed that the Wireless LAN wasn't working at all :( . The Draytek GUI didn't even have menu items for Wireless LAN.

I made a physical check of the router to confirm it actually was a wireless model (it was) and decided to update the firmware to the latest version: v3.6.4.1_sb_232201.

Once updated, the Wireless LAN capability returned (although previous settings had gone) and everything seemed to be good :) .

Problem 2:

At that point we noticed that the VoIP phones had stopped working :( . I could see the VoIP VPN tunnel was still up but we had no outgoing traffic (there was still incoming traffic being received from our server).

Everything "looked" ok but then I noticed thet the Load Balancing tool had disappeared from the WAN section of the GUI and so I couldn't check those settings :( .

The routing tables looked right - traffic to our VoIP server should be routed via VPN_3 but absolutely no traffic is being passed by that route.

I've tried restarting VPN connections and the router on more than one occasion but it has no effect. I've also applied alternative firmware (2471201) but, again, it made no positive difference.

I should add that I have over 20 Drayteks operating at remote sites and none have experienced this sort of problem before.

I have a workaround in place for the phones (thank you 3CX SIP proxy tunnels!) and intend to return with replacement hardware.

It may be that a complete reset of the device (using the .rst version of the firmware) may be called for but I can't do that remotely.

Questions:

1. Has anyone else experienced functionality disappearing like this (menu items missing)?

2. Can anyone explain why my VoIP traffic is suddenly not being routed correctly?

3. Is a complete reset of the device likely to bring things back to normal?

Thanks in advance

Gus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami