DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2830vn + WAN3 to External Network via Ethernet Adapter?

• simonrg
  • Topic Author
More
27 Jan 2014 23:24 #78872 by simonrg
Living in a rural location, my main broadband connection is via high speed symmetric 40Mb/sec WiFi connecting via WAN2, with 2Mb/sec ADSL as the backup with all my phone connections over VOIP. However, on Friday my ADSL is being replaced by fibre :), at which point I have a problem - :cry: - two broadband connections via ethernet and only 1 ethernet port on the 2830vn and no sign of availability of the 2860vn.

So I had hoped rather than use WAN3 (USB) for 3G, I could just plug a USB ethernet adapter in and it would become WAN3, allowing me to connect the OpenReach fibre modem into this and keep my high speed WiFi connected into WAN2.

Has anybody got this to work? Which ethernet adapter do I need?

Otherwise I am going to have to get a seperate VOIP box and a dual ethernet WAN router or rely on manual back up - swapping between the two cables on the front of my 2830vn.

Thanks, Simon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2014 10:56 #80085 by ghostworks
Hi found your post after searching WAN via Ethernet Adapter as I could use a WAN3 Ethernet via an adapter.

Your your case I'd upgrade to the 2860 as that's vdsl modem for your fiber ( if it is a VDSL - RJ11 ) and wan2 for the other connection.

any luck on finding an adapter to work for your issue originally

• simonrg
  • Topic Author
More
30 Jun 2014 21:05 #80462 by simonrg
No I couldn't find an adapter for WAN3, so I tried a D-link device which was rubbish and have now got a Draytek 2920VN which I guess is almost a downgrade, but does have VOIP built in which is what I was after.

Moderators: Sami