Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820Vn died this morning ..... :-(

• barneymcgrew
  • Topic Author
More
08 Feb 2014 16:54 #79027 by barneymcgrew
2820Vn died this morning ..... :-( was created by barneymcgrew
Hello
My 2820Vn has been happily chugging along since July 2009. This morning, I needed to do a hard reboot. Turned the unit off, did what I had to do (about 5 minutes) and then flicked the switch to "On".

I was greeted by ...... well, not a lot really. :(
The DSL led (centre of 9 matrix) lit dimly and seemed to be flickering slightly. My first thought was power supply unit has gone u/s. I only have a volt meter to test with but it shows a steady 15v.

So, has anyone got any pearls of wisdom or experience of similar issues? Could it be the psu failing under load which is more difficult to test (for me anyway).

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2014 19:12 #79029 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2820Vn died this morning ..... :-(
Try a reflash
see detailed steps here
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18763

• barneymcgrew
  • Topic Author
More
09 Feb 2014 15:01 #79032 by barneymcgrew
Replied by barneymcgrew on topic Re: 2820Vn died this morning ..... :-(
Thanks for the suggestion but I've got to solve the power problem first before I can do anything else. (I can't connect to the router) :(

So, I'm trying to establish if it is the power supply or the mainboard? TBH it most likely is the power supply failing under load but I don't want to buy a new one if there are any other known causes of this behaviour.

• barneymcgrew
  • Topic Author
More
09 Feb 2014 18:19 #79034 by barneymcgrew
Replied by barneymcgrew on topic Re: 2820Vn died this morning ..... :-(
OK - so, I've established that it is the power supply that's given up not the router itself. Great! :D

A new psu of the correct specifications and my 2820 will be rocking again!

More
15 Feb 2014 15:02 #79082 by destroyer
Replied by destroyer on topic Re: 2820Vn died this morning ..... :-(
I've had the PSU fail on my 2820 before too. Working fine, turned power off for about 2 minutes and then totally dead. The trouble is a voltmeter doesn't show the full story because it might be the fact it's not putting out enough amps - in highly electrical terms! :D

More
06 Nov 2014 22:04 #81685 by iwrconsultancy
Replied by iwrconsultancy on topic Re: 2820Vn died this morning ..... :-(

Destroyer wrote: I've had the PSU fail on my 2820 before too. Working fine, turned power off for about 2 minutes and then totally dead. The trouble is a voltmeter doesn't show the full story because it might be the fact it's not putting out enough amps - in highly electrical terms! :D

May also have AC ripple on the output, which can only be seen with a 'scope.

Basically, look for a good quality regulated (switchmode) one. Be aware that unregulated ones may put out a LOT more than the plated voltage under low load, and that could damage the router. Also be careful of polarity and centre pin size, of course. Best of course is an approved replacement.

Moderators: Sami