DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Struggling to get OPenDNS working

More
24 Feb 2014 13:24 #79182 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Struggling to get OPenDNS working
Not sure if will help but maybe (not sure) at System Maintenance >> Management >> internet access or Lan access maybe can block them from getting into the router
Also at System Maintenance >> Administrator Password Setup are few settings there which may helps prevent access to the UI
LAN >> Bind IP to MAC also will block unregister devices
Check if you can do anything at firewall

Also you can change the default web port as you did but without port scan tools, people should not see your admin interface.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• okeycokey
  • Topic Author
More
24 Feb 2014 14:45 #79186 by okeycokey
Replied by okeycokey on topic Re: Struggling to get OPenDNS working

babis3g wrote: Not sure if will help but maybe (not sure) at System Maintenance >> Management >> internet access or Lan access maybe can block them from getting into the router
Also at System Maintenance >> Administrator Password Setup are few settings there which may helps prevent access to the UI
LAN >> Bind IP to MAC also will block unregister devices
Check if you can do anything at firewall

Also you can change the default web port as you did but without port scan tools, people should not see your admin interface.

Thanks babis3g.Not what I was looking for I`m afraid!
Sorry if there was confusion somewhere. It`s not the web access to the router that I`m concerned about. My main drift is users on the LAN by-passing my OpenDNS configured servers on my router on their client PC`s (by altering the DNS settings in their network configuration page).I know I can lock down the Pc`s from admin access but I don`t want to use this method. I want to restrict their access to unwanted sites using the router.

More
24 Feb 2014 16:23 #79192 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Struggling to get OPenDNS working
ah sorry never tried these features but here some links if will help you till someone else has use these options to help you more
http://serverfault.com/questions/27940/block-certain-urls-on-draytek-2820n
and here a response from a draytek member
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1529056
draytek FQA
http://www.draytek.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=category&id=97:firewall&Itemid=293&lang=en

• okeycokey
  • Topic Author
More
25 Feb 2014 11:26 #79196 by okeycokey
Replied by okeycokey on topic Re: Struggling to get OPenDNS working
Thanks again! Good links with useful info, but yet again, not what I`m after.

Anyone else offer a method please!

Thanks!

More
26 Feb 2014 09:35 #79210 by broccoli
Replied by broccoli on topic Re: Struggling to get OPenDNS working
Set up firewall rules (Firewall->Filter Setup in the web UI). You will need at least 2 rules: one to allow TCP/UDP port 53 traffic to the OpenDNS servers, and another to block all other outbound traffic to port 53.

More
26 Feb 2014 10:57 #79211 by barneymcgrew
Replied by barneymcgrew on topic Re: Struggling to get OPenDNS working
How big is the network (how many PCs?)? Are we talking Windows, MACs or something else?
If Windows, have you tried threatening users with removal of appendages if they play with your network settings? :lol:
Other than that, what about setting up a Group Policy that prevents them altering/accessing their network adapter settings, then just put you OpenDNS addresses into each PCs network adapter settings.

Moderators: Sami