DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek products general stability

• ollietait
  • Topic Author
More
11 Feb 2014 15:20 #79054 by ollietait
Draytek products general stability was created by ollietait
Does anyone actually have any Draytek Vigor product working reliably and performing well?

I've pretty much lost all faith in the products from recent experience:

site A supplied with two V120 modems (one V1 one V2) both of which drop about 15% packets (ended up replacing with the free ISP zyxcel router).

site B with a Vigor 2830 that needs rebooting multiple times a week.

Site C with Draytek 2850 (set to auto reboot daily) still degrades performance over the course of the day to a snails pace. replaced with free router from ISP.

Site D Draytek vigor 2850 on BT infinity service - throughput performance is 20% slower than with free BT hub.

Site E two new Draytek 2830ns - no sync on to ADSL with either one - reverted to free isp router.

Site F draytek 2830 required rebooting several times per week as no connection - replaced with cheap alternative......

I've spent hours if not days with each site upgrading / downgrading firmware and factory resetting devices.

On paper the features look great for the devices but I don't think I have a single Draytek device in service that actually does what it's supposed to reliably. I appreciate that they aren't the most costly devices on the market, but they are also a long way from the cheapest - either way they should still "do what they say on the tin".

Does everyone else have this much trouble with them generally or am i just a special case? :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2014 19:56 #79067 by destroyer
Replied by destroyer on topic Re: Draytek products general stability
Draytek 2820n - Rock solid. Had it for 5 years, haven't noticed a single issue with stability in all the time I've had it

Have a client with a 2830 on a really crap line and it seems to do OK.

Wonder if its a configuration setting you are using which is in common to all those sites? VPN? Firewall? Etc?

• ollietait
  • Topic Author
More
13 Feb 2014 11:39 #79072 by ollietait
Replied by ollietait on topic Re: Draytek products general stability
Not that i can think of or see. They are unrelated sites in geographically different areas using different configs. Mostly just straight forward ADSL internet config, with a couple of port forwards, a couple are using site-to-site VPNs, two are VPNing back in to the Draytek (one SSL one L2TP). Some have Wifi, some don't.

In fact the V120 s are completely different devices (pretty much a dumb modem, although you can manage it somewhat), but they seemed to be pretty much unusable.

Your 2820n - that just sits there and works from one week to the next without rebooting it??

More
15 Feb 2014 14:48 #79081 by destroyer
Replied by destroyer on topic Re: Draytek products general stability
Yes I can't remember a single time where it has rebooted itself or gone iffy. The uptime always as expected (i.e., since I last rebooted it or there was a power interruption).

I wonder if it's the VPN functionality.... ?

I think from reading the forums its clear Draytek do have a weakness with configurations getting corrupt on them, as well as the occasional unsupported configurations which it is possible to make. I wonder if it is worth upgrading one of them with the latest firmware using the .RST to clear all settings, and then reconfiguring from scratch in a clean manner, and see if there is any difference..

More
17 Feb 2014 10:38 #79098 by ghostworks
Replied by ghostworks on topic Re: Draytek products general stability
using the rst and applying setting manual sorted my issues with my Vigor130 , a good way to try

Moderators: Sami