Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Setup new router whilst leaving existing working

• colinharris
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
19 Feb 2014 09:04 #1 by colinharris
I am about to setup a new server for a client. The previous server failed dramatically and is no longer in use and the network was temporarily converted into a Workgroup and the workstations given fixed ip’s. The client decided that he wanted everything new so we have ordered a new server, new workstations and a Draytek Vigor 2920 router. All the data has been copied to one of the workstations (as well as being backed-up to the cloud).
I need to keep the existing system working throughout the installation as the client cannot afford to have any downtime. The existing router is a fairly basic Netgear modem/router with DHCP turned off (the old server was acting as a DHCP server).
The question is: what is the best way to ensure that the existing system continues without interruption (until the actual changeover which will be over the weekend) whilst setting up and testing the new system? I don’t want anything I setup on the new server to affect the existing computers for example, DHCP, GPO’s, etc. There is only one ADSL line (although that will probably be changed to fibre within the next month or so).
I was going to setup the new system with a different IP range, say 192.168.12.* whilst keeping the existing system using its current range of 192.168.11.*. Is that the best way to do it and, if so, how do I setup the new Vigor 2920 with the new range whilst keeping the Netgear in place serving the old system until the changeover? Perhaps a DMZ from the Netgear into the Vigor?
This is happening tomorrow, so any suggestions would be most welcome.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami