Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2860n Plus DHCP Configuration

• nigelclegg
  • Topic Author
More
28 Feb 2014 15:34 #79236 by nigelclegg
Vigor 2860n Plus DHCP Configuration was created by nigelclegg
I am not a techie, so please be gentle!

I bought the Vigor 2860n Plus so that I could use two BT Internet connections in failover mode, and to improve internet speed. However, I wasn't expecting the 2860n to be quite as difficult to configure!

I now have two working internet connections, (ADSL and WAN 2), and have changed the IP address range to 192.168.0.xxx to suit our network, and so that I didn't have to reconfigure our printers and other devices. I have also got the wireless up and running. So far so good.

However, I cannot seem to progress beyond this point and so would be grateful for some help.

Firstly, I would like to disable the DHCP function as we have this set up on the file server. However, when I turned the DHCP off I was unable to access the Vigor 2860n Plus until I did a Factory Reset.

Secondly, we only have one network with about 30 devices connected to it, so I do not need to use the Vigor 2860n as a Network Bridge. It would be more helpful if I could use the spare LAN sockets as a Network Switch to connect one or two printers or computers. Is this possible?

How should I go about this please?

Regards,

Nigel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2014 18:44 #79243 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Vigor 2860n Plus DHCP Configuration
hi replying for the first case ... if you disable dhcp then yes you may lose the router ... you will need to add dhcp addresses manually to each device (laptop.pc,mobile etc) under network & sharing centre>property>ipv4 > properties, as far in know

for the second issue never tried but maybe you need a port based VLAN and/or multiple LAN subnets configured ... but i am not sure on this
have a look at FQA at draytek.com if you see any help from other similar modems should work & for the 2860
http://www.draytek.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&layout=category&task=&id=&Itemid=293&lang=en

• andrew@macaddress.co.uk
More
03 Mar 2014 11:07 #79262 by andrew@macaddress.co.uk
Replied by andrew@macaddress.co.uk on topic Re: Vigor 2860n Plus DHCP Configuration
First I would check nothing on your network has the same IP address as your 2860 ! Make your 2860 your default gateway for all your devices (ie 192.168.0.1) ! This should be configured in your file servers DHCP options so all devices use the 2860 as their gateway (the present default gateway maybe your file server) ! Reboot all your devices on network after you have made the 2860 your default gateway and made changes to settings on file server ! By ping testing your router and file server will allow you to test everything is working.

Moderators: Sami