DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

HELP PLEASE

• ukc101
  • Topic Author
More
08 Mar 2014 14:48 #79297 by ukc101
HELP PLEASE was created by ukc101
I have a vigor 2830n, I updated the firmware to the latest version following all the steps correctly. I had confirmation that the update was successful and router would reboot.
Router never booted back up to a working mode even after 30 mins.
Powered down and back up again with still no joy. Defaulted the draytek by pressing in the factory reset button for 5 seconds as detailed but still no joy.
PC gets issued with an ip address for a short time and router pings at 192.168.1.1 but no web access for settings.

Router has ACT,USB,CSM flashing quickly at the same time and DSL LED is on constant even with DSL removed.
LAN connection lasts for about 30 seconds then all LAN port LEDS light up for a second before all going out.

Thanks in Advance for any help. Only router I have available for the moment so desperate to get back working asap

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2014 16:44 #79298 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: HELP PLEASE
try to reflash it

Get the Firmware Upgrade V.3.6.5 (Windows) tool from UK support (down of their page, guessing you have windows) ... unzip it
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads

Latest firmware is 3.6.6.2 & use 232201 modem code, which is fine for most lines

make sure you have the correct modem model firmware (single band or dual band)
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-2830-dual-band
(needs registration)

for the single band here (SB) sb
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2830/Firmware/Single%20band/v3.6.6.2_SB/Vigor2830_sb_v3.6.6.2_Annex_A/
for the dual band here (DB) db
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2830/Firmware/Dual%20band/v3.6.6.2_DB/Vigor2830_db_v3.6.6.2_AnnexA/

Note you need to use the *rst* file and Not the *all*

follow this order to avoid time outs (have the upgrade tool ready and stand by first)

-Disable temporary firewall at pc
-use ethernet cable & not via wifi
-turn off the 2830

-open the utility upgrade tool 3.6.5
- type at IP address 192.168.1.1 (unless you have change it use the new router ip)
-load the rst file(is recommended for your case)
-password leave it blank & if timeout or other message try admin or the last one you used
- leave there the upgrade tool open & stand by ...

While the 2830 is off ... press and hold gently the small reset hall button at the front next of the leds... > turn on the modem while the reset button is still under gently press ... and while the leds starts flashing fast ... let go the small reset button ... and press the send button at the upgrade tool before the leds at modem stops flashing fast

If any problem come back before gets permanent damage

• ukc101
  • Topic Author
More
08 Mar 2014 16:53 #79299 by ukc101
Replied by ukc101 on topic Re: HELP PLEASE
Thanks for the help. Found the tool via another forum. Took ages to get working as on windows 8.1. Had to run as win 7 and set timeout to 2000 before it would send without giving an error.

Worked a treat though and thank you for your help.

• ukc101
  • Topic Author
More
08 Mar 2014 19:56 #79301 by ukc101
Replied by ukc101 on topic Re: HELP PLEASE
One quick question.
Concerned I'd bricked it I ordered the 2860N-Plus.
As its on its way, can I use the same configuration backup on both devices?
Or us there a settings migration tool that would allow me to transfer all my settings from the 2830 to the 2860?

More
08 Mar 2014 21:40 #79303 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: HELP PLEASE
well done for your new model
I am not aware of any tool for using it lets say legally the setup from another model ... but in general with draytek is not advised to use any backup file from other model because of the conflict settings / bugs ... this is also valid even for the same models but with different firmwares (not just changing same firmware modem codes)

Try to write down the settings or take some screenshots at the most important/difficult/complicate settings and save it to have it in future use as well if ever something goes wrong (hopefully never will happen)

More
09 Mar 2014 15:52 #79308 by nick101
Replied by nick101 on topic Re: HELP PLEASE

ukc101 wrote: One quick question.
Concerned I'd bricked it I ordered the 2860N-Plus.
As its on its way, can I use the same configuration backup on both devices?
Or us there a settings migration tool that would allow me to transfer all my settings from the 2830 to the 2860?

No easy way - I've just gone from a 2820 to a 2860. I took screenshots of all relevant settings pages from the 2829. Tedious, but safe

Moderators: Sami