Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Paid for support?

• bremhillbob
  • Topic Author
More
11 Mar 2014 18:31 #79323 by bremhillbob
Paid for support? was created by bremhillbob
Hi all,
I have an old Vigor2710 that has done Stirling work for several years. I live out in the country and internet speeds have never been great but I have had 3.5Mb in the past. average speed in recent years is closer to 2Mb but recently I am having 'drop outs' (a ping test comes back with 'connection unavailable' for a short while then it all resumes as 'normal'). I've spoken to the ISP who tell me that they have reprofiled the line.
I was wondering if there was anywhere that I could go to who could tell me exactly how to configure the router to get the best out of it end maybe whether the router was still working reliably, as you can probably tell I know a little and don't mind tinkering but I am not well versed with the intricacies of Broadband (adsl).

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2014 20:09 #79325 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Paid for support?
Hi first i don't understand the title ... UK support i don't think is asking for money unless you send it in for repair and is out warranty

To take the best out of the 2710 i would say to use the latest firmware 3.6.5 from here
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2710/Firmware/v3.6.5/Vigor2710_v3.6.5_annexA/
and modem code 2471201
You need to use the *rst* file for a clean & fresh install but this will delete all previous settings
If you have to many settings write them down or take screenshots ... previous backup is not recommended either
The above way should made a clean install if was mismatching in the past from upgrading firmware or keep changing settings

For best settings without drops i recommend

Go at Internet Access >> PPPoE / PPPoA (assuming your isp using pppoa or pppoe and set
Modulation set it manually to G.DMT
MTU set the one the recommended value from your isp
Ok to save

Also when testing speedtests you need to use ethernet cable because if the wifi is far distance it can have issues dropping
If still makes problem i would say if is possible to replace the PSU with a similar one(volt & amber) if you have a spare

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami