DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Getting ADSL stats on a 3900

More
12 Mar 2014 23:19 #79332 by celt
Getting ADSL stats on a 3900 was created by celt
I've just upgraded a charity to a 3900 so we can have multi-WAN . . . Their location has poor BT connectivity . . . No VDSL, so they have been using a Tooway Ka-Band satellite broadband (don't ask . . . ) with ADSL as a backup on a 2860 up to now.

After some fun with the foibles of VLANs and subnets (don't try to reconfigure the default LAN subnet to a different IP) the new 3900 is humming along nicely, but whereas the 2860 (with it's built in ADSL connectivity) would give us line speed data (as well as SNR etc.), the 3900 doesn't as we use the Vigor 120 ADSL modem in PPPoE passthru mode . . .

Is there any way to get the line stats, or am I going to have to unplug the modem from the router, connect a PC and directly access the GUI on the 120?

I won't start on the fun we had setting up the satellite WAN connection . . .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2014 17:20 #79338 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Getting ADSL stats on a 3900
The Vigor120 operates as a true transparent bridge; everything is passed straight through it so you cannot access its web interface from the bridged device. I think if you get an Ethernet hub and connect that inbetween, a secondary PC could get the data. Or temporarily disconnect the V120 from the Vigor3900... but in simple terms, no.

Forum Administrator

More
14 Mar 2014 01:05 #79346 by celt
Replied by celt on topic Re: Getting ADSL stats on a 3900
I managed to do it with a hub . . . That got me the data I needed, but that can only be a temporary solution . . . I guess we can live with it, after all we only need to check after BT have been "adjusting" the physical installation . . . This minor disadvantage is outweighed by the fact that with this solution we can put the ADSL modems next to the DP box where the BT circuits enter the building, rather than on the end of an extension in the networking room . . . And hopefully we'll get better line speeds as a result :wink: :lol:

Moderators: Sami