DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2830Vn Multiple VDSL connections

More
19 Mar 2014 13:06 #79402 by scoobler
2830Vn Multiple VDSL connections was created by scoobler
Hello,

I am looking for some support, I currently have a 2830Vn router at work but we have just had 3 BT Infinity lines installed (no idea why 3, a know it all had them installed) and now I have to pick up the pieces.

At present I have WAN1 disabled.
WAN2 is connected to the BT Infinity modem and the settings in the 2830Vn - connected fine.

But it now means I have no 'back-up' wan. Can I do anything about this?

At the moment, I have set-up the 2 BT Business Hub 3's wifi, turned off their DHCP and set the IP address to be among the pool of the 2830Vn. Bound their IP to their mac address within the 2830Vn.
Now people can connect to any of the 3 wifi networks, but in reality everything is just being routed via WAN2 on the 2830Vn.

Is it possible to set different default gateways for different WAN's as 'backups'?

OR

Should I just upgrade to a 2860Vn or similar as it would be nice to use at least two of the connections in load share, I have seen the 3200 but I think the 3200n has been discontinued? Only I need to have wifi on the network and really want rid of the Business Hub's?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2014 13:54 #79403 by sicon
Replied by sicon on topic Re: 2830Vn Multiple VDSL connections
definitely upgrading to the 2860 would be the simplest as it supports VDSL on both interfaces.
You could then use the 2830 on the 3rd line but with a different IP on the LAN

More
19 Mar 2014 14:48 #79404 by scoobler
Replied by scoobler on topic Re: 2830Vn Multiple VDSL connections
Hi sicon,

Thanks for the speedy reply - I have just placed an order for a 3200 and an AP-800. I had a quick chat with someone at SEG and they said it will allow us to use all 3 connection to load share, or fail over. Let the fun commence setting that one up!

More
20 Mar 2014 10:59 #79415 by sicon
Replied by sicon on topic Re: 2830Vn Multiple VDSL connections
I totally forgot about that, its their Quan Wan router, I must amidst we don't get much need for them...

More
22 Mar 2014 13:26 #79440 by scoobler
Replied by scoobler on topic Re: 2830Vn Multiple VDSL connections
Tbh the office setup is a bit of a pain, we have the head office split over two seperate locations and mobile sales workers so I used two 2830Vn's to allow me to connect the two offices and allow the mobile workers to VPN in.
Where the fun comes in is, I'm only an Electrical Engineer in the company with a computer science degree, so end up playing the IT role too, BUT there are those higher up who think they know what they are doing and want to stick their two pence in without asking what needs to be done and if it will work.
So as the main part o the office has around 12 workers and the broadband is rather slow (around 4-6mb) when they saw BT infinity was available they ordered three lines, didn't say anything and had they installed while I was on leave. Which left the office without internet for 2 days till I got back and had to sort it. And my experience of it so far is a slight upgrade in speed, around 8mb with a huge number of drop outs.

One question I did have is, the BT infinity system now has a modem and a router, a white box which plugs into the phone line and the normal (rubbish) hub which plugs into that. Do I need to plug the WAN ports of the 3200 in to the white box or direct into the phone line for the BT infinity?

Thanks again!

Moderators: Sami