DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Not sure of the lingo

• surtec
  • Topic Author
More
20 Mar 2014 15:17 #79419 by surtec
Not sure of the lingo was created by surtec
We have 2 Vigor routers, a 2910 at the HQ and a 2820 at the satellite office currently linked via a VPN, 10Mb fibre WAN at both ends.

We've recently been provided a 100Mb point-to-point fibre between the two offices, but how should I use it ?!

The satellite office has its own subnet, I assume I couldn't just connect the satellite office switch and the HQ switch without any extra configuring /routing information ?

I've been told by SEG that the 2910 should be replaced for a 2920/2925 which apparently supports multiple subnets on the LAN side but I thought I would ask here for other opinions.

Thanks

Stuart

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2014 10:00 #79430 by sicon
Replied by sicon on topic Re: Not sure of the lingo
If they are on different subnets then you need a router between the 2 ends points on the fibre.
If its just the 2 networks then just add the static routes in at both ends

• surtec
  • Topic Author
More
01 Apr 2014 14:13 #79529 by surtec
Replied by surtec on topic Re: Not sure of the lingo
Thanks Sicon,

They were 2 different subnets, and also 2 different networks.

The 2920 worked well coupled to the 2820 in the satellite office, I setup a static route on the 2820 to send all traffic for subnet x.x.1.x to the 2920's IP

I setup the 2920 to use Port4 VLAN with x.x.2.x subnetting, allowed Inter-LAN routing, and connected any LAN port on the 2820 to connect (via the private fibre link) to Port4 on the 2920 voila it worked.

Next I need to look into how to enable a VPN link between the 2 sites in case this private fibre fails.

Thanks for your help

Moderators: Sami