Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

multiple services running on 443

• robowen76
  • Topic Author
More
11 Apr 2014 12:25 #79649 by robowen76
multiple services running on 443 was created by robowen76
I currently have a 2820. With 1 ADSL connection

Im running multiple web services on a VMWARE server. Port forwarding works fine but I have 3 servers running services on 443 and I cannot change the port. The application that talks to them is not configurable either so the app has to come in on 443. I want a router (with ADSL modem integrated but not a show stopper) that can handle multiple 443 requests and carry our host header inspection and deliver it to the correct web server.

Anyone have any experience of doing this and/or knows about a dreytek product that supports this?

thanks in advance
Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2014 12:40 #79650 by sicon
Replied by sicon on topic Re: multiple services running on 443
Unless you change the source port then translate that to 443 and the specify internal address then im pretty sure you cant do it.
If the source also has to be 443and destination have to be 443 you will need a range of external address and then use mapped ips/ip alias and map each external IP to the individual internal address.

here is an example of having a /29 range
You can specify each external address open ports to map an individual Lan IP

• robowen76
  • Topic Author
More
11 Apr 2014 13:35 #79651 by robowen76
Replied by robowen76 on topic Re: multiple services running on 443
thanks

hmmm...my company supplies my ADSL connection and its a basic package - they won't pay for me to have multiple IP's...

More
11 Apr 2014 14:31 #79653 by sicon
Replied by sicon on topic Re: multiple services running on 443
you need who or whatever it is initiating the connection to change the source port then if that possible and use the router to translate that to 443 and forward to the correct server

• robowen76
  • Topic Author
More
11 Apr 2014 14:53 #79654 by robowen76
Replied by robowen76 on topic Re: multiple services running on 443
yeah, that would be ideal but the App cannot be changed..

Forgive me if i don't understand but wouldn't something like NAT do this anyway. i.e. tell it to NAT an internal IP to something and then accept returning traffic for that Natted IP and translate it back to the internal ip? and not do any port forwarding? is the PAT? port address translation?

More
01 Aug 2014 15:42 #80840 by taltos
Hi
I too am looking at this issue only I need multiple service running on port 80.
I have 3 domains that point to the same external ISP single static IP address. I want each domain to access a different internal IP.
So I need port 80 routed to different VMs on internal IP addresses and thought Host Header forwarding might work only I don't know if Draytek routers can do the job.
I understand that having an 8 IP address block is the easy and correct way of doing it, but I don't have a block and I cant get a block, hence why I am trying to find a workaround.

Now I was looking at the "load balance" part of the 2850, it shows that the router can forward traffic from internal IPs to specific WAN ports based on external individual addresses / URLs.
So I wanted to know if there was a way of "hacking" the load balance to work the other way around. So the router forwards traffic from External IPs to specific internal IP based on Host Headers (external individual addresses / URLs)
I might have misunderstood Host Headers but this appears like it could be done, just maybe not on a draytek product.
Does anyone have any idea of how this could be done.
Lets assume I could change the port from 80 to another like 808 or 8080 for the different servers but I cant. I need to access the servers inside a network that locks down all ports except 80.
FYI there is nothing sinister in the use I have a mail server that has webmail on 80 (To check my mail at work. PORT 80 ONLY) it also has the usual mail ports open so from my phone all is well, except I cant take my phone into work.
I also have a media server so my kids can access their music on the bus and train (PORT 80 ONLY) and a finally a web server for scout group (No I dont want to host it anywhere else)

One other thing the OS of each server are different ish. the media server is on a raspberry PI (RASPBMC) Mail server is its own Proprietary webserver and the Scout webpage is on Server 2008 (IIS7)
So now that you understand what I am trying to do and why maybe someone might be able to suggest a way of resolving the problem. that doesn't state the obvious of "change the ports" or "get a IP address block".

Well if anyone from Draytek is there is this something that is already there and I have just missed it or could be added as a feature. do any of the other Draytek range of routers support "Host Header" forwarding?
Regards
Malcolm aka Taltos

Moderators: Sami