DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Transfer of configuration from Vigor 2830 to 2860

More
15 May 2014 16:22 #79993 by edc
Good afternoon,

We have a perfectly functional Vigor 2830 which is currently running nicely. We have bought a Vigor 2860 to take advantage of the VDSL modem functionality.

However, as the 2830 has quite a complicated configuration, being used for multiple VPN users and plenty of port forwarding, etc. I would prefer not to have to set up the 2860 from scratch.

I tried simply backing-up the configuration by using the System Maintenance menu and then restoring it to the new box, but it did not work.

Has anyone got any good suggestions?

Thanks!

Ed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2014 16:30 #79994 by applecom
sorry cant help, but I am also going from a 2820 to a 2860 and like you would love not to start from scratch

More
15 May 2014 16:53 #79996 by babis3g
It will not work from other models but even if will work is not suggested because of the hardware/firmware mismatching can cause conflicts to the new unit

You can take screenshots or write it down and sometime start from the begin, backup when you ready to have it for future firmware updates with the new unit

You can also download and install from the begin newer firmware to have the latest features / options before start setting it
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads

More
17 May 2014 15:44 #80024 by destroyer

babis3g wrote: It will not work from other models but even if will work is not suggested because of the hardware/firmware mismatching can cause conflicts to the new unit

You can take screenshots or write it down and sometime start from the begin, backup when you ready to have it for future firmware updates with the new unit

You can also download and install from the begin newer firmware to have the latest features / options before start setting it
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads

Excellent advice. As much as I love Draytek equipment I never trust exporting/importing of settings on them. It is always best to start fresh.

More
18 May 2014 12:24 #80035 by edc
OK thanks that is useful to know.

It is a great pity that this is not possible. It seems to me that DSL, port forwarding and VPN settings are not hardware-specific, and it wouldn't take a rocket-scientist at Draytek to enable these settings to be brought over from one box to another.

Never mind. Thanks for the advice anyway!

Moderators: Sami