Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Extending 2830 with 2nd AP ? but want 1000gb in AP too

• systemshark
  • Topic Author
More
22 May 2014 21:55 #80118 by systemshark
Folks,

a little product help please.

My network is structured with a 2830 adsl2 firewall router in my offices which provides 2 SSIDs and is connect to a 1000 Switch(managed Netgear switch). From that I have a ethernet extension to other end of the house with a second AP (with 1 ssid) and 4 x 1000gb switch. (the second unit is a zyxel unit) which has gone faulty.

Ideally I'l like a second AP based on Draytek as I can extend the guest lan into the main house but I also want the 1000Gb Switch support as this unit also supports several TVs via Ethernet (cable). Over the Ethernet, I'm send HD tv shows which means I don't to use wifi as I don't believe it will stream properly. (do you mind if we don't have a discussion about if its possible for HD streaming on Wifi)

Anyway, given this design, should I have a AP800 ? or can you provide a better plan ?

Regards
Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2014 10:49 #80119 by admin
The AP-800 is 10/100BaseT. For Gb 4-port switch you need an AP-900 (it doesn't make the wireless any faster; this refers to the wireless switch). Actually, if the wireless is particularly strong/efficient, feeding at Gb will be useful as WiFi can get close to 100Mb/s and 100BaseT doesn't, after overheads/traffic etc.

Forum Administrator

• systemshark
  • Topic Author
More
23 May 2014 11:13 #80121 by systemshark
thanks Admin for the feedback,

The GB support on the unit with strong wifi is exactly the reason I wanted that feature and I can run it as a second switch at the other end of the house

Moderators: Sami