DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor2850n, fibre and physical ports

• octafish
  • Topic Author
More
10 Jun 2014 13:43 #80283 by octafish
Vigor2850n, fibre and physical ports was created by octafish
I have a Vigor 2850n, which I bought for its ability to run separate, isolated networks and its compatibility with FTTC fibre. Very pleased I am with its configurability.

I am about to upgrade to PlusNet's fibre service and don't want or need their modem A couple of questions:

1/. Do I run the Ethernet cable from the new BT socket into the 2850n's Ethernet Port 4/WAN?

2/. If so I lose a port and don't want to have the expense (yet) of upgrading to the 2860n, which has 6 rather than 4 ports. Is the solution to buy a Draytek switch and how would this work ( I have never used switches before) and are there any issues I need to be aware of? (I use Devolo networking out of one port).
Many thanks.

Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2014 20:25 #80287 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Vigor2850n, fibre and physical ports
1-
-You can plug the front right wan port direct to the phone socket, with this method you will use the build in modem to connect with direct plusnet service, you need to know your isp parameters/settings

-There is also an other option to connect the supplied plusnet modem direct to the phone socket, then (an rj45 male to male cable) out of the lan port of the plusnet modem to the Lan 4 of the 2850
You need to enable wan 2 at WAN >> General Setup>wan 2> enable yes, always on
then at wan.internet access>wan 2>details page, you set the plusnet parameters and your online username/pass

-there is also usually a small line splitter in the supplied box where you can plug it at the wan port and have an adsl & an other vdsl line at the same time
2 cables from the phone sockets are ending at the splitter, then the splitter other single end into the 2850

2-
you can use any switch but is better if you get one stating 10/100/1000 (gigaport) not sure how to set (some of them are just plug & play but never involved to offer personal more help, hope an other user may be more helpful

• octafish
  • Topic Author
More
11 Jun 2014 00:30 #80290 by octafish
Replied by octafish on topic Re: Vigor2850n, fibre and physical ports
Thank you that's very helpful.

Steve

Moderators: Sami