DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2860 - pure modem/bridged mode ?

• xunilx
  • Topic Author
More
24 Jun 2014 13:29 #80373 by xunilx
As above - the question has just come up whether one can be set to modem only (no NAT, firewall etc) to have a pfsense box sitting behind it.

Don't blame me for the question, or for the underlying rationale.

I just need to know whether this model can or cannot be set to pure modem mode and, if so, how ?

Thanks for looking.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2014 14:08 #80381 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Vigor 2860 - pure modem/bridged mode ?
I don't have the unit so i can be wrong ... for this reason come back to your thread or email info@draytek.co.uk if you don't get any reply soon, but as far i can see from the live web demo there is Not any pure bridge mode if your isp using PPPoE/PPPoA (ask via email if will be added in the future) ... if is using MPoA or static IP then yes can take pure bridge

Pure bridge mode will disable many features and will let pass only few protocols ... so if you don't want to pay so much money for a modem only (guessing you don't need its wif/routing part) can look: at the vigor 130 (again at the moment seems does not have bridge mode for PPPoE/PPPoA, MPoA has) or 2760 with out wifi which has bridge mode (double check with info@draytek.co.uk) with any protocol

All 3 models having the same dsl chipset so for the line part whatever the 2860 gets will get & the other 2 models

• xunilx
  • Topic Author
More
24 Jun 2014 14:40 #80386 by xunilx
Replied by xunilx on topic Re: Vigor 2860 - pure modem/bridged mode ?
Thanks - that's pretty much what it looked like to me too :(

They previously had a Draytek 120 modem piping into a pfsense box, which was used for all sorts, including Squid and internet monitoring.

Modem went bang, 2860 was brought in as a hasty replacement.

Now they want many of the features in pfsense, internet monitoring in particular, thanks to unruly staff.

I can feel another modem purchase coming on...

More
24 Jun 2014 14:45 #80388 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Vigor 2860 - pure modem/bridged mode ?
Please double check with the email i have provided (they are replying fast) or come back to your thread later ... because i could be wrong & ask for the 2760 as well ... is a good adsl/vdsl modem
Some other users worked well the 120 with Pcfence and i am sure the 2860 may work as well with similar way
If you have experience with previous drayteks take a look & the demo
http://tw.draytek.com:12860/
If you email them they should tell you if will be added soon the pure bridge mode

• xunilx
  • Topic Author
More
24 Jun 2014 17:33 #80392 by xunilx
Apparently this is possible "using the Vigor 2860's PPPoE pass-through facility or the MPoA Bridge mode facility".

I have raised a support ticket for more information and if the results test OK I will update this thread accordingly.

Who knew ?

:)

• xunilx
  • Topic Author
More
26 Jun 2014 08:22 #80413 by xunilx
From Draytek support:

If you want the 2860 to act as just a Modem and obtain Sync and not do any Routing then you would first need to update the firmware to 3.7.4.1 from here

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads

Then you would set the following

WAN > Internet access > WAN1 = PPPOE/PPPOA - Select Enable and Tick "PPPoE Pass-through for Wired LAN" Then save and reboot.

The go to

WAN > Internet access > WAN1 = MPOA/Static or dynamic - Select Disable and Tick "Enable Bridge Mode"

Save and reboot.

When you log back in the WAN > Internet access > WAN1 should show "Access Mode" as "None" and the "Details page" should be grayed out.

The Router is now acting as just a modem to gain ADSL sync.

So, firmware version depending, yes, it can :)

Moderators: Sami