Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860 / AP-900x2, IPTV & Sonos

• amadeus
  • Topic Author
More
27 Jun 2014 15:30 #80429 by amadeus
2860 / AP-900x2, IPTV & Sonos was created by amadeus
Hi,

I currently have an Asus RT-N66U which generally works well. It falls down when I record IPTV - it floods the wireless network so my Sonos is not available. Other users of the Asus have replicated the problem and Sonos have this router on their incompatible list.
I'm also looking to increase wireless range across my house (which is very old and wide).

I'm looking to replace the Asus and am considering the 2860 with 2x AP-900 (I believe I need this config - correct me if I'm wrong).
I've read a few threads on here where people have had problems with IPTV (I'm using PlusNet) but I can't determine whether the problem is fully resolved. Does anyone else here do what I want to do and if so, is it working?

I'm also really nervous about Draytek support - I had an ADSL modem some years ago and the support was terrible (was told that I needed to wait a few weeks for a new version of firmware, didn't materialise, was then told that the modem was over a year old and thus out of warranty so I'd have to buy another). Has it improved or is it (like a lot of places) luck of the draw as to the engineer I get?

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2014 19:29 #80518 by the pit
Replied by the pit on topic Re: 2860 / AP-900x2, IPTV & Sonos
Pot luck.
I've got a 2960 which basically released with alpha firmware at first the email support was good. Soon it was clear that fix for some of the issues wouldn't arrive soon so the technician stopped responding to any email requests. I wasn't emailing daily once a month just asking what the progress was. So if he actually bothered coming back and said a couple of months it wouldn't have been so bad. In the end it was just silence so I bought a Cisco unit instead. Support there was also very poor. Although the unit could push 500mb through the firewall a bug limited it too under 100mb. Two years to fix in the meantime I used leaked firmware passed between posters on the support forum. I've gone back to the 2960 as I want to use the web filtering again. Latest firmware has fixed the earlier issues although manuals are still out of date and don't reflect changes in later firmware. So if you follow the examples you'll discover that load balancing won't work.
If you get a problem they can fix I'll think they'll respond if you have an issue that there's no known date for a fix and you get a bad technician they will ignore you and hope you'll go away. A good one will be honest and say sorry we can't offer a fix at this time. Same happens in most companies if management let them get away with it.

• amadeus
  • Topic Author
More
03 Jul 2014 22:02 #80520 by amadeus
Replied by amadeus on topic Re: 2860 / AP-900x2, IPTV & Sonos
Thanks for the honest reply.

With an Asus or Netgear, I could handle poor support but for nearly £500 for the setup I want a reasonable level of support. Maybe I should wait a bit and hope the firmware matures.

Thanks again

More
04 Jul 2014 06:08 #80524 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 2860 / AP-900x2, IPTV & Sonos
On the other hand, most customers are very satisfied with support...

Forum Administrator

• amadeus
  • Topic Author
More
04 Jul 2014 20:16 #80540 by amadeus
Replied by amadeus on topic Re: 2860 / AP-900x2, IPTV & Sonos
Admin are you in any way connected to Draytek? (Not intended as anything other than determining where we are)

I must admit I thought that if people were generally happy there would have been more response but one can never tell.

Rgds

More
05 Jul 2014 14:20 #80545 by lorian
Replied by lorian on topic Re: 2860 / AP-900x2, IPTV & Sonos

admin wrote: On the other hand, most customers are very satisfied with support...

Ha. Show us some survey data....

Moderators: Sami