DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Need help with Draytek 2830 using two WANs

• icshelp
  • Topic Author
More
16 Jul 2014 13:48 #80689 by icshelp
Hi I am wondering if someone can help me, my client has a Draytek 2830 Series router, WAN1 is a slow ADSL line and WAN2 is a fast satellite broadband link. The issue that they have is during band storms the satellite broadband line may go off and be unavailable which is fine, however and here is the problem, when WAN2 comes back up the Draytek continues to send traffic only down WAN1 (the slow line). I need to find a way that the Draytek can keep checking WAN2 for when it comes back online and can then be used again.

At present my client says the only way he can rectify the situation is to power off the Draytek and the satellite controller box and turn them both back on again. Can someone talk me through exactly how to configure the Drytek for this to work correctly, I remember doing something like this before but I can't remember how I managed it, I do believe you can setup a ping to allow the Draytek to detect when a line is up or down.

If you could provide screenshots showing the config I would be very happy indeed.

Many Thanks
Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2014 19:54 #80691 by babis3g
the method below worked for me with older firmware (when had 2 connections)

Wan .general setup > active mode always on and tick the small window load balance at both wan's menu

Load balance / route policy
enable and tick wan 1 & wan 2 (have both ticked)
from the right side press the up line to bring wan 2 on top of the list ... that should give priority and all traffic to wan 2 (satellite link) and if the wan 2 fails should work the adsl wan

If not works try latest firmware 3.6.7.1, if you have this already try a backwards one, i am saying this suggestion with firmware because i remember one firmware did not work as mentioned and was needing reboot as well

The pic below is from older firmware & i have only one wan ticked but i think needs 2 ... in general try & with out ticked or tick only one wan but needs to move up from the right of the page so the wan 2 will be on top of the list

• icshelp
  • Topic Author
More
18 Jul 2014 08:57 #80695 by icshelp
Hi many thanks for your suggestion, can anyone else validate this? I have a feeling somewhere that you can use a ping through one of the WAN ports to allow the Draytek to know whether the WAN is active or not and then set it's self according to whether it receives a ping back or not.

Thanks
Gary

Moderators: Sami