DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 with adsl and WAN2 PTP Wifi link

• gizard75
  • Topic Author
More
23 Jul 2014 07:17 #80762 by gizard75
2820 with adsl and WAN2 PTP Wifi link was created by gizard75
I know the 2820 is getting a little old now so this might not be possible but here is what I would like to achieve:

WAN2 as primary connected to a Wifi Access point with speeds in excess of 100 meg (PTP link to another site with fibre broadband)
If the above fails default to WAN1 adsl - somewhat slower at about 0.3 meg !

Is the above possible as I know the WAN2 port struggles with such a high throughput...

cheers

G.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2014 09:57 #80763 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2820 with adsl and WAN2 PTP Wifi link
when i had virgin media 100mb connection & an adsl ... with a 2830 & 2850 & 2920 i own (& worked good for all of them)
load balance / route policy tab
wan 2 ticked and from the right option moved up (priority move up to be on top)
wan 1 or 3 ticked and from the right option moved second place

that it gave full priority for everything at wan 2 and if only wan 2 failed then it did worked wan 1-3

You can also try tick only wan 2 (but still move it to top priority & leave wan 1-3 untick, i think still will work

• gizard75
  • Topic Author
More
23 Jul 2014 11:44 #80767 by gizard75
Replied by gizard75 on topic Re: 2820 with adsl and WAN2 PTP Wifi link
Thanks for your response - in the past I have used the 2820 with infinity directly (using the BT VDSL modem) and it worked okay - but in the end I bought a 2860 (which I must add has been running for over a year and hasn't missed a beat).

This situation is a little bit different (different location) in the fact I have BT infinity at one house which I will PTP link to another property 300 meters away with Nanobeam M5 APs. At the other property which has very slow adsl I plan on keeping that on the WAN1 port as backup and then plugging the AP into the WAN2 Ethernet port -

My question is how exactly should I configure the WAN2 in relation to the AP PTP link? - I have it working as a normal flat network with the 2820 behaving as just a switch with the AP plugged into one of the LAN ports but this will not allow me to use the ADSL as backup or will it?

More
01 Aug 2014 16:24 #80843 by takeo_ischi
Replied by takeo_ischi on topic Re: 2820 with adsl and WAN2 PTP Wifi link
You'd need to get something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WR702N-Wireless-Extender-Set-top/dp/B006PYGWG6/

And plug it into the Ethernet WAN port. The DrayTek wouldn't treat it differently to any other connection.

Moderators: Sami