Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

10+ VLANS

• evansdn
  • Topic Author
More
28 Jul 2014 14:44 #80810 by evansdn
10+ VLANS was created by evansdn
Hi everyone!

Our company uses Draytek routers (various models, slowly upgrading to 2860n at each site).

We have recently purchased a new site, and want to split the network up into separate VLANs, so as to allow several different tenants internet access using our router, but on their own network.

We have a netgear GS724T, which can up to 128 VLANs operating across it, however the 2860n seems to only support 8 (VLAN0-VLAN7).

How do I configure the 2860n to route all VLAN tagged traffic from our managed switch, if I assign more than 10 VLANs to various ports on the switch? Is it as simple as a single cable from the 2860n to the switch, and configuring that port (on the switch) as the trunk, and then configuring 1 or more of the remaining ports on the switch for each of the 10+ VLANs?

Your assistance in this will be much appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2014 14:36 #80852 by sicon
Replied by sicon on topic Re: 10+ VLANS

evansdn wrote: Hi everyone!

Our company uses Draytek routers (various models, slowly upgrading to 2860n at each site).

We have recently purchased a new site, and want to split the network up into separate VLANs, so as to allow several different tenants internet access using our router, but on their own network.

We have a netgear GS724T, which can up to 128 VLANs operating across it, however the 2860n seems to only support 8 (VLAN0-VLAN7).

How do I configure the 2860n to route all VLAN tagged traffic from our managed switch, if I assign more than 10 VLANs to various ports on the switch? Is it as simple as a single cable from the 2860n to the switch, and configuring that port (on the switch) as the trunk, and then configuring 1 or more of the remaining ports on the switch for each of the 10+ VLANs?

Your assistance in this will be much appreciated!

I don't think that will work as the 2860 wont be aware of all the VLANs.
If its a Managed Switch (L3) not smart managed then you could try routing from within the switch and making the 2860 the next hop as the gateway out...
This is something ive always wanted to test but havnt got round to it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami