Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820n & BT Infinity

• bitconfused2
  • Topic Author
More
05 Aug 2014 00:58 #80859 by bitconfused2
2820n & BT Infinity was created by bitconfused2
Hi all,

Suspect there's a simple answer, but thought it best to check with those that know!

I'm about to have BT Infinity installed, and whilst I'm not a huge fan of the Home Hub 5, I believe using my 2820n in place of it isn't a 100% match as it's speed limited to around 50Mbps. I was therefore contemplating using the one physical LAN port on the Home Hub and connecting it directly to the 2820n, thereby allowing me to keep all of my local LAN traffic segregated away. I suspect at the most default routing level, all I need to do is to change the DNS resolution to the IP address of the Home Hub to enable internet traffic resolution, but any additional advice and guidance appreciated.

One further thought was regarding the firewall itself, which wasn't immediately clear; can it effectively protect my local LAN from the BT Home Hub network leg, or is one of the firewall zones fixed to the 2820n's WAN connectivity?

Thanks,
B/C2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2014 07:25 #80860 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2820n & BT Infinity
if the HB5 has not bridge mode (seems not) then you need to connect it at the wan 2 of the 2820 & this method should work
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19525&p=80718&hilit=homehub+5#p80723
I am not sure the firewall with the 2820, i always use the default options as it is from factory & never notice any issues

Tip ... if you disable the wan 1 & 3 (not stolen some CPU memory) & leave the default firewall settings, should go more than 50mbps

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami