Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2960 and 2nd Wan

• rich-s
  • Topic Author
More
05 Aug 2014 09:32 #80862 by rich-s
2960 and 2nd Wan was created by rich-s
Hi,
I have 2 broadband incoming lines. I have one for my business network using a BT Infinity modem and router. The other is for my public wifi system using a BT Infinity modem connected to a Draytek 2960. The 2960 has a 2nd wan input port. Can I plug into this with a connection from the business network side of the bt router to increase the bandwidth? Or will the BT router be trying to assign an ip address to the Draytek? Don't want to suck it and see as have about 60 paying guests on the public wifi who I don't want to upset if it goes pear shaped. I guess what I'm asking is does the 2nd wan input need to come directly from a modem?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2014 23:14 #80868 by takeo_ischi
Replied by takeo_ischi on topic Re: 2960 and 2nd Wan

rich-s wrote: Hi,
I have 2 broadband incoming lines. I have one for my business network using a BT Infinity modem and router. The other is for my public wifi system using a BT Infinity modem connected to a Draytek 2960. The 2960 has a 2nd wan input port. Can I plug into this with a connection from the business network side of the bt router to increase the bandwidth? Or will the BT router be trying to assign an ip address to the Draytek? Don't want to suck it and see as have about 60 paying guests on the public wifi who I don't want to upset if it goes pear shaped. I guess what I'm asking is does the 2nd wan input need to come directly from a modem?
Thanks

The best method would be to have both modems going directly into the DrayTek, but your plan should also work. You'll just need to set the DrayTek's second WAN port to acquire a static/dynamic IP from the BT router, rather than PPPoE which it would expect if you were connecting to the Openreach modem.

More
11 Aug 2014 19:49 #80926 by the pit
Replied by the pit on topic Re: 2960 and 2nd Wan
Do BT latest routers allow pass through? I know an earlier version didn't and my 2960 wouldn't keep the connection up and also the problem of double nating which is supposed to cause problems.

• rich-s
  • Topic Author
More
12 Aug 2014 18:40 #80937 by rich-s
Replied by rich-s on topic Re: 2960 and 2nd Wan
Thanks Takeo. I have a 2nd broadband line ordered, so will wait for that. Is there an idiots guide anywhere as to how to set up the 2960 to increase bandwidth (aggregation).

Moderators: Sami