DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

DrayTek 2850n VDSL port vs Openreach modem?

• reado
  • Topic Author
More
19 Aug 2014 14:25 #81015 by reado
I had a brand new line installed a few weeks ago and a VSDL 80/20 service installed the day after on the same line. The Openreach modem was connected to WAN2 on our 2850n and according to the stats after about 2 weeks, the WAN2 connection had an uptime of 200 hours. In addition the IP Profile on the BT Wholesale website was set to about 76Mbit down, 19Mbit up.

This weekend just gone we decided to utilise the VDSL port on the 2850n instead. WAN1 has been configured correctly and the line connected straight away at the full 80/20 rate. However after 24 hours, the connection dropped and reconnected at 67Mbit down and 17Mbit up. A few hours later and the connection dropped again, reconnecting at the same downstream speed but with an upstream of 19Mbit. The connection remained in-place for 36 hours straight then (today) dropped and reconnected at the same speed.

We never had this problem with the Openreach modem. I'm wondering whether the DrayTek hardware is up to the job of maintaining a connection or should we switch back to the Openreach mode and WAN2?

The Draytek router has the latest firmware; 3.6.6.1 and the VDSL firmware version is 1414c3.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would prefer to stick with a DrayTek setup with no Openreach modem, but this can only happen without the constant disconnections.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2014 19:00 #81021 by takeo_ischi
Replied by takeo_ischi on topic Re: DrayTek 2850n VDSL port vs Openreach modem?
Hmm. My upload speed actually increased by 1 or 2mbps when I switched from using the Openreach modem to my 2860.

It might be the DSLAM detecting a different modem and suddenly acting funny? If so, it might go back to normal after a while.

More
19 Aug 2014 22:58 #81026 by babis3g
you can try set manually profile (tick only 17a or 30, carrier B43 at vdsl VDSL >> VDSL Setup
you can also try different modem codes from here
http://www.draytek.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=2453:vigor2850n&Itemid=417&lang=en#downloads
and try an annex B modem code in combination with the carrier B43 ... annexes does not matter with vdsl

Moderators: Sami