DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Using WAN2 for Load Balancing and Failover

• derekbez
  • Topic Author
More
03 Sep 2014 12:21 #81147 by derekbez
New to the board. Tried searching, but apparently my search terms are too common.

We're a small company in London and recently moved premises, taking our Vigor2830 with us. The new ADSL line is a bit flakey, and doesn't suffice for our bandwidth and business continuity needs. We're trialling an additional second line and would like to use the Draytek router's Load Balancing facilities to utilise both internet connections as seamlessly as reasonable.

So, two lines : BT ADSL and Relish 4G. The Relish 4G connection works very well when connecting to their device directly.

In my initial testing of connecting the Relish router into WAN2 of the Vigor2830, while both devices could "see" each other, traffic did not flow as expected.

On the Vigor2830 Online Status, WAN2 is lit up green, with a Static IP Connection - the IP provided by the Relish router. RIP is enabled.

Using the Draytek's Diagnostic PING and TRACERT I could get to the inward IP on the Relish, but nothing onwards. I'm not convinced the Routing Table is quite as it should be, but I've forgotten a lot of the routing stuff I learnt years ago.

I've tried with the "Load Balance" tickboxes on and off for both WAN1 and WAN2. And I've tried to follow the "How to use Load Balancing" guide (http://www.draytek.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=5181:policy-route&Itemid=293&lang=en)

If you have any suggestions of what aspects of routing and setup I might consider it would be greatly appreciated. Of course I'm happy to provide more detailed information if it would be helpful. I don't expect any unicorns to appear.

TIA.
Derek

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2014 14:13 #81149 by babis3g
Not that expert with load balance (long time to use it) but if you want as example the 4G to be as primary connection then at load balance menu from the right click (wan 2 or wan 3) to move up (on top of the list) .. that should make the wan 3 to be in use most of the time for the load balance

If you wan all traffic go at the specific wan (example wan 3) then just tick it as well (while is on top of the list), that will make any traffic to be in use for everything (as long you have not set any policy rules at loadbalance) and the other wans will be use as kind of fail over
(assuming at wan general set up all wan's are set at always on)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami